Another help me pick out a ukulele thread!

sealcove

Reaction score
This might be amazing to some, annoying to others, and entertaining for the rest.

I got my first ukulele, a used Kamaka tenor, a little less than a month ago, and I am now completely addicted. I have decided to unload an inexpensive mandolin that I recently purchased for travel and roll those funds into another tenor uke. Here are my criteria and I am open to all suggestions:

1. I would like to keep the instrument cost as close to $600 as possible.

2. I would like an all solid wood instrument.

3. Used is preferred, but I am open to all options.

4. Tenor

I would like something that does not feel like a big let down when switching from the Kamaka. I actually didn't pay that much more for the used Kamaka, so I would love it if I could get into a similar quality range or a notch down. I have been eying some of the reviews for imports like Pono Ukes that look like good contenders if I need to go new. There is a snazzy looking Pono Mango Tenor at Grypon Strings that I have been eying, but I know nothing of what kind of sound Mango produces.

I am a long ways from any good ukulele shop, so its a given that I will be buying sight unseen, but I am used to that.

Shameless plug. I have a solid koa top solid mahaghany Mele tenor with pick-up for sale. PM me if interested. I got videos and pictures. It is in the marketplace.

IMO there are many good ukuleles that you can get in your range. Kamakas are some of the best ukes out there and there are other ukes available but it is more difficult to go from a "K" brand to a non "K" brand. In imports there are a few that wouldn't be a big drop off but they will still be a drop off. Mele, Pono, and Kiwaya as well as Honus are the best imports IMO.

Thanks for that info! I will keep the Mele in mind as things evolve.

Any chance you could provide details on the mandolin? I've been wanting one.

It's an Eastman 505 purchased new from the Mandolin Store in late July. I got it thinking it would be good as a relatively inexpensive mandolin for travel and risky environments, but as I mentioned I would rather have another ukulele (I have two other very good mandolins). The mandolin has an upgraded TKL hard case that comes with.

Eastman mando's are a solid instruments for the money. They are an imported all solid wood instrument, and are generally considered to be one of the best, if not the best, imports. The sound is nowhere near as full as my good instruments, but they are in a different league. The one I have is essentially new. I have played it for no more than 30-45 minutes, and other than switching the strings when it first arrived, it is as it was when it came to me.

Not to be a complete and utter killjoy but shouldn't this be moved to the Uke Beginners' Forum? Not trying to backseat moderate here because I could be wrong.

i reckon one of the K's in tenor size will be about $200 out of your budget, ive heard and read soo much goof things bout the new kala acacia solid wood ukes, some family as koa, solid, no laminate in the body, grover tuners, they sound fantastic, and there only like $350 for a tenor from MGM which is $250 under your budget

WAT you have a Kamaka tenor, and you have UAS for something else?!?!

amazing. Go for a KoAloha. They have amazing ukuleles

also to add, you wont be all that impressed with the pono mango, there a much more softer sound

If you're looking at used in the $600 price range, there's a lot of options. Something you might want to try is an older model, white label Kamaka Tenor. I've always thought that they were pretty cool, although I do not own one myself. If you're looking for something that has a sexy finish, try a Kanilea K1. If you're into a cool headstock and bridge design, a used KoAloha would work well.

And Meles are good ukes too. I've got a mele tenor, massive crack in the top that my dad "fixed" (by gluing another piece of wood that was about the same thickness of three credit cards underneath it, LOL). But it still sounds good and plays like a champ.

You know what? I just looked at HaoleJohn's ad for the Mele. You should go for it since it has the Fishman in it, and it's a great uke at a solid price. Then do yourself a favor and spend the leftover $200 on a Fluke or a Flea. You won't regret it.

I know one of the requirements was tenor but this to me looks like something you shouldnt be dissapointed with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kanilea-K-1-Con...in_0?hash=item3ef8644fbb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I definitely want a tenor, but I was wondering how much Kanile’a K-1 Tenors are going for used when they pop up. Perhaps I should up my budget just a tad to get me in the range of a used Kanile'a or KoAloh. I am also liking the suggestion that no matter what I do I should look at getting a Fluke as well. Seems like the Fluke would make a great instrument for the boat.

The reason for the Tenor is that I find the scale length and preferably having 14 frets to the body to be the best fit for my hands and playing. I have over 20 years in playing finger style guitar (and 10+ on the mandolin), so while I am new to the ukulele, I am starting off on music that is probably not beginner arrangements, and I know from experience that buying good instruments from the start will never disappoint me.

I am soaking in and researching all of the comments and suggestions, so thanks to all! :music:

Not to be a complete and utter killjoy but shouldn't this be moved to the Uke Beginners' Forum? Not trying to backseat moderate here because I could be wrong.

I think this is perfectly fine here.

I think you should at least try the other sizes, too, since they all have their pros and cons.

Oh, and welcome to the Underground!

1. I would like to keep the instrument cost as close to $600 as possible.

2. I would like an all solid wood instrument.

3. Used is preferred, but I am open to all options.

4. Tenor
I have a very slightly used Pono cedar-top/rosewood sides & back tenor, with pickup and case. Pics on my website. Been thinking of selling it recently.​

I didn't include this in my criteria, but I think I would prefer no cut-away, and given the choice I would go for an instrument with no pickup installed.

I already see many good suggestions in the posts above. To start I am going to try to make it to Boston in the near future to visit the Music Emporium in hopes of test driving a Pono to get a feel of their fit, finish, and sound. In the meantime I will watch for a good deal on a used base level Kanile'a or KoAloh. Should one of those come up I might allow myself to adjust the budget.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back if anything exciting happens.

I would like to know why you want another tenor. Do you just like tenors? I know ukulele shopping is very personal, I'm just trying to understand what it is you are looking for. I'm not sure you can top a Kamaka. I'm a KoAloha concert girl myself, but I don't think I would get another concert. Just askin'....:) (My husband says I'm nosy. I just think I'm curious -- don't mean to offend.)

Top Bottom