Tuning peg question

Crizti

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new.... I've been playing for just over a year...my daily player is a Lanikai Saprano... I love it and it's served me well.

I also have a vintage junky one and another vintage soprano that's a tiny step above that one.

So, my question is about the vintage ukes. One will be painted over and the other will just be cleaned and re-done.

i need to replace the tuning pegs...these couldn't hold a tune with a big ole handle if they had one..... I'd like to replace them but am confused by sizing ...brand and such.

I don't want to get top of the line pegs for vintage "toys"- but I also want to improve them...not take a step sideways or backwards... dig?

Suggestions?

Thanx bunches!

Vintage?

Hi there, I'm new.... I've been playing for just over a year...my daily player is a Lanikai Saprano... I love it and it's served me well.

I also have a vintage junky one and another vintage soprano that's a tiny step above that one.

So, my question is about the vintage ukes. One will be painted over and the other will just be cleaned and re-done.

i need to replace the tuning pegs...these couldn't hold a tune with a big ole handle if they had one..... I'd like to replace them but am confused by sizing ...brand and such.

I don't want to get top of the line pegs for vintage "toys"- but I also want to improve them...not take a step sideways or backwards... dig?

Suggestions?

Thanx bunches!

Hey Crizti, I'm pretty new here so please take what I say with a pinch of salt haha...

When you say vintage, is that the make of the "junky" ukes you have? Just interested because these are the make I've seen around where I'm from.

If I remember rightly, these have friction pegs on, so have a look on Ebay for some geared tuning pegs, they'll stay in tune for a lot longer than the originals. Something like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ukulele-Machine-Heads_W0QQitemZ350247371348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item518c5ec254&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hope this helps ;)

Replacement friction pegs are usually ok, even the cheap ones. Part of the trick with friction pegs is to get the tightness of that tension screw just right. Once you get that they're usually not too bad.

Most friction pegs seem to fit the same holes (more or less), however I once had to drill out friction peg holes to make them accommodate geared tuners, so if drilling the headstock scares you, you might want to check the post diameter on geared tuners before buying.

Thanx

I want to stick with friction pegs for these ukes...

and as for Vintage....that is not the make ..... One is a souvenir uke from the 60's and the other is a cheap decaled dime store uke from the 40's.

I just bought some Ping friction tuners from Ukulele World to go on an old Regal that a friend of mine was given. I had to use the washers from the old tuners but other than that it was a straight-out swap. No problem.

Top Bottom