New Guy In Town

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Hellow. I'm new here and would like to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions to boot. I'm Mangorockfish, my friends call me Mango. I own my own "big truck" and drive cross-country. Been thinking about getting a uke for some time and finally decided to pull the trigger. This is where the questions come in. What are the differences between a tenor and a baritone? I know what a tenor is, but not a baitone. Kind of already decided on a Mainland Concert, unless there is something everyone thinks I would be better off getting. Also which will have a better sound overall, cedar, mahogany, or the mango that they offer and what does the mango look like? Lastly, who has the best price here in the states? Thanks in advance for all the responces.

Tenor vs. Baritone

Tenor vs. baritone basically refers to (1) the size of the ukulele, baritone basically being a bit larger than a tenor, and (2) the tuning of the ukulele, baritone basically being tuned 2 1/2 steps lower than a tenor ukulele.

Generally, ukuleles come in 4 sizes; from smallest to largest they are: soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. Soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles are usually tuned the same way, G-C-E-A whereas a baritone is tuned 2 1/2 steps lower to D-G-B-E. Effectively, a baritone ukulele is tuned like a 6-string guitar but without the two lowest strings.

There are variations on the above generalizations of course (e.g. tunings such as A-D-F#-B and sizes such as a sopranino) but hopefully that helps get you started.

Welcome, Mango. :)

Welcome to UU. You'll love it here.:D

Welcome to U.U.!

I just want to add that I had the chance to play a Mainland Concert yesterday. I had only seen them online before that. I was super impressed with the sound, the action, and the looks. What a nice instrument!

By the way, are you going to keep you uke in your truck a lot where there will be a lot of temp. changes? Heat, sitting in a car in the sun, and extreme temp changes are pretty hard on solid wood ukulele's. If so, you may want to consider a flea or a fluke ukulele as they are tough as nails, and sound really nice.

Let us know what you decide on!

Welcome to U.U.!

I just want to add that I had the chance to play a Mainland Concert yesterday. I had only seen them online before that. I was super impressed with the sound, the action, and the looks. What a nice instrument!

By the way, are you going to keep you uke in your truck a lot where there will be a lot of temp. changes? Heat, sitting in a car in the sun, and extreme temp changes are pretty hard on solid wood ukulele's. If so, you may want to consider a flea or a fluke ukulele as they are tough as nails, and sound really nice.

Let us know what you decide on!
So far Mainland has the nod. I have a call into Mike (hoosierhiver) about ordering one. That is if I get a good load tomorrow. Thank you for your concern about the temp changes. Not to worry, I'm in the truck ALL the time and I'm going to stay comfortable and when I'm not, I'll take it with me.

Top Bottom