Non-black Hard Cases

sleepsinashoe

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm looking for a case for my new Mainland tenor, but getting one of the official really nice cases would break the bank for me a bit. Of course, I could get a cheaper hard case for around 30 or so, but I don't really like the all black cloth/nylon that seems to be so popular with musical instrument cases nowadays. So i was looking for something different.

I've looked at cheaper tweed cases, but can't find one that I was looking at that was 50 dollars anymore. Since I seem to have exhausted my tweed search (unless someone can help me out), are there any other different types of cases than that typical black cloth/nylon deal? Even a different sort of black would be nice, like I saw one that was basically rubberized black on the outside. Heck, even a different shape would be fine. The other stipulation is one that doesn't hurt my checkbook too much, if it can go under 60, then i'm getting it.

Thanks,
Sleeps in a shoe

Last edited:
This is going to be a totally useless post... but no case is all black if it has stickers all over it!

True enough -- or if you think creatively you can probably come up with other ways to customize a plain black case so it's not only not plain black any more, but truly unique...

Those alligator cases are slick, but I don't know if I could go with them. Stupid need for a custom case! :-(

Yeah, a Carlton is even out of the question for me, I'll go up to an Ameritage and that is my limit, at least while I have this job.

If you can't find a coloured one that works, I agree with the sticker idea. If its an inexpensive one, you could always paint it, or spray paint/colour in a stenciled image.
Either way, good luck, and I hope you find a great case!

If you go to the link below, its from a posting a few days ago, where I provide info on how you can get a case custom made to fit your uke, in tweed. It's a rectangle case and a little more than you wanted to spend at $90, but pretty sweet.

(Look for my second posting on the following thread. Regarding G&G Quality Cases.)

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18903&page=2&highlight=fender

If you go to the link below, its from a posting a few days ago, where I provide info on how you can get a case custom made to fit your uke, in tweed. It's a rectangle case and a little more than you wanted to spend at $90, but pretty sweet.

(Look for my second posting on the following thread. Regarding G&G Quality Cases.)

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18903&page=2&highlight=fender

I'm gonna have to check them out, Kmetzger... The Ameritage cases are wonderful, but they are so very expensive and the only reason I was going with them was because of the customization (and the built in hygrometer was nice, but whatever.) Thanks for the info!

Check out Oscar Schmidt cases. I don't know how much a tenor case would be but I bought a concert size for about $50. It's a brown hard case. Stickers work well to cover up the name on the case if that bothers you.

I have a deluxe hard case i got from mele www.meleukulele.com and it was 80 for a tenor size. I know their concert and soprano cases are a little less expensive. Also www.ukerepublic.com has hard cases that are tweed and alligator and other optiions that aren't that styrofoam type hard case.

I loved the brown "leather-like" case that my Oscar Schmidt had so much that I just ordered a Tenor size (UC4) for my new Kala Acacia from musiclandexpress.com for $49
It has a nice super padded handle, brown furry interior, three full size latches (one locking) and built pretty well. My concert made it on 10 flights this year already and numerous car trips, camping as well. only one small nick in the pleather but I have the case covered in stickers anyways! :)

Top Bottom