New James Hill Signature Model Tenor!

rclifford13

Reaction score
The uke of my dreams has arrived! I was lucky enough to pick up my new James Hill JH-SM1 today, bought from Shawn at Ukulelefriend.com. What can I say... it's a gorgeous instrument.

Specs:
- Tenor scale (436mm)
- AAA Spruce soundboard
- Master grade koa back and sides
- Honduras mahogany neck, Ebony fretboard
- Koa pickguards
- Fishman Prefix ProBlend pickup
- Slotted headstock
- Gotoh geared tuners

I haven't much time to play it properly as the strings are still settling in, but what I have heard is simply breathtaking. The whole instrument seems to vibrate as one, and the tone is gorgeous.

Here are some pics.

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

07.png

HOLY s**, MATE THAT IS THE MOST GEORGOUS UKE, wow can you make a sound file, that thing looks fantastic, what did it set you back?

Ooh, pretty.

Congratulations. :)

Is it a trick of the pic, my cr@ppy eyesight, or is that a fairly marked fretboard radius?

You're correct, buddhu. :p The fretboard is radiused. It's the first of my ukes to have a radiused fretboard, and it really increases playability, for me anyway (Barre chords are far easier).
Interestingly, this is serial number 000044. I know James Hill himself owns 0000001 and Curt Sheller owns 0000003, but that must mean there are at least 41 other JH-SM1 'ukuleles out there. I couldn't seem to find many videos/reviews on them at all when I was researching this uke!

HOLY s**, MATE THAT IS THE MOST GEORGOUS UKE, wow can you make a sound file, that thing looks fantastic, what did it set you back?

I'm working on getting a sound file/video as soon as the strings settle. And trust me, this thing looks even better in real life.
As for the price... A custom made instrument + weak Australian dollar + shipping to Australia + customs import fees + goods and services tax = an uneventful Christmas/birthday + no more UAS. :D

I'm working on getting a sound file/video as soon as the strings settle. And trust me, this thing looks even better in real life.
As for the price... A custom made instrument + weak Australian dollar + shipping to Australia + customs import fees + goods and services tax = an uneventful Christmas/birthday + no more UAS. :D

Rob you must be stoked man. Cant wait to jam with you and see the next axe mate.
cheers

Curt's selling his JH-SM1. He also posted it here in the Marketplace. FYI, the cutaway is an upgrade option. I wonder if Derek Shimizu (G String) is still making these?

Last edited:
I wonder how many different signature ukes Mr. Hill has. I've seen two or three builders do that for him.

i love that its got a spruce soundboard but those sweet koa pickgaurds... almost styled like coutry gibson pickgaurds but also very reminiscent of the pickgaurd setup on cuatros- the ukes puerto rican cousin... That thing is gorgeous!!!!

I'd put my desire for that uke up there with my desire for a moore bettah or compass rose...

I wonder how many different signature ukes Mr. Hill has. I've seen two or three builders do that for him.
I don't know about signature ukes, but he has several custom builds. One is a GString Koa which was what the signature models were based on. He has a Mya Moe Slide, a Beltona, and a DaSilva. All of these are custom custom built and I believe have not been reproduced or selected to be a production model.

Its always weird to see James Hill Signature Ukes written out... Cause I am Andrew James Hill... But thats a beaute!

Would someone please tell me what that means? Thanks

A radiused fretboard is one that is sanded into a curve, i.e. the middle bulges out. It's done to make things more comfortable for the fretting hand. Classical guitars tend to have little to no radius but guitars like Fender Stratocasters have pronounced radii. As far as I know, they're not very common on ukes.

Top Bottom