Video log... Uklectic build

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I am back to documenting workshop activity. This one will be a start to finish Uklectic build. I started one about a year ago but the pressure of work and the general untidiness of my workshop constrained me somewhat. Now I have the new machine and have rationalised my workspace I can do it. So here is part 1. It deals with wood selection and preparation. There are some clumsy edits so please forgive me. It takes about an hour to collate 4 minutes of footage and I just haven't the time to get it perfect - I'll save that for the ukulele...

I am about to lose many nights of sleep over these videos. I'm running on about five hours of sleep at work today because of your email last night! Gah! Too exciting!

contrasting views of pete

Pete you have a certain reputation for well lets just say bieng very blunt about your opinions here on the forums and I have a certain opinion of you formed but then I watch a video like this, helpful and informative, your accent if very charming (for some reason when I read your posts I think of your accent as american even though I know your not) theres that adorable song in the background of your videos... I swear your a niceguy in disguise...

Thanks for the awesome vid!!

Pete you have a certain reputation for well lets just say bieng very blunt about your opinions here on the forums and I have a certain opinion of you formed but then I watch a video like this, helpful and informative, your accent if very charming (for some reason when I read your posts I think of your accent as american even though I know your not) theres that adorable song in the background of your videos... I swear your a niceguy in disguise...

Thanks for the awesome vid!!

Well said I have to agree with this, I am sure that in person Pete is on of the nicest guy you will ever meet. He just takes grate pride in his work, and there is no fault in that.

The song is a piece I arranged and play on a kit built uke- It's Bye and Bye I'm Going to See The King. Maybe I'll do a clip and have it at the front of these videos. What d'ya think?

I hope I am a nice guy. Personally I don't judge any one. We are all God's children worthy of equal respect. Interestingly enough, this medium makes 'reading' people very difficult. On another forum a perfectly harmless comment by a Dutch friend of mine (now if you want to meet forthright people the Dutch are your race...) has been seen as mysoginistic. I didn't read it like that at all and it was just one word in a sentence. The development of the thread is becoming very polarised and interesting - bit like the 'saw' one here with people taking strong positions and beginning to insult each other. I don't think this would happen in real life and perhaps it's why people seem so rude to each other today:eek:ld:

Will Pete, I for one would love to hear you song, I really look forward to your videos, and posts. I use to do a lot of woodworking built custom fine furniture had just about every kind of tool hand, and power you could think of. Back in the day if you really wanted to make me mad just come in my shop and start using my tools in the wrong way. I once caught a friend cutting aluminum with one of my saws. Needless to say the s--t hit the fan that day.

One of the best things about the UU community is the diversity of the membership. It is truly an international community. The one thing that we all have to remember is that there are so many different cultures‘, and some of us English is a second language. So something I say may have a totally different meaning to someone else. Than again some of us may not have the best spelling, or grammar. In just my family there is, Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Philippine, Taiwan, and me the white guy.

I love sharing different ideas, some I may like some I may voice my opinion I may also be very blunt at times but I try to never insult.

So all this boils down to is keep the videos coming, keep the ideas flowing. I for one would like to thank you for sharing.

Walt

Yes and one thing about this forum is that people tend to back off fairly quickly and recognise that we are a diverse community. It's why I want to share here - I feel genuinely appreciated and therefor am more than willing to share what I do.

Know what you mean about tools - hey man, don't touch my tools!:cool: I mean DON'T TOUCH 'EM BUDDY!

Pete, I really enjoy every single video you do. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do those!

And I never understood anything you wrote as being impolite or anything.

As I said, I hope to meet you in person one day.

Thanks for this series Pete. I am looking forward to the next videos :)

I've taken some shots today but I had a bit of rebuilding of the guide pin to do and some further jig making - I had forgotten how versatile this machine is. It's beginning to look like I will not be using it in shaper mode - I ordered a 2" spiral cutter used for CNC machines today :shaka: Preparation part 2 will be out next week as I have other things to do over the next few days...

Makes me appreciate -

Dedication to self education
Investment in tools
Experimentation
Continuing self education
More/better tools
More experimentation
More/better tools
Continuing self education

So that in the end -

You make it look so dang easy!!!

Thanks Pete, for sharing (some) of the knowledge you have EARNED!

Hello everybody, and hello Pete, I have registered on this board (as well) recently, after the telephone conversation I had with you where you informed me that you frequent here. Regarding the different nationalities that visit on these forums, I tend to agree with the remarks made by WFWhitson. My mother tongue is not english (not an excuse), and re-reading my comment/praise on Zoe's concert uke (she made with you), I ended up getting a crack around the ear. I hope Zoe is enjoying her beautifull uke, and I will be following your youtube film clips closely, and include reading here. I am also playing with the idea, of attending a uke build at your place in Wales, when I visit my family in England. At this stage I do not know when that will be, but the question that I would like to ask is whether there is any time of the year that you cannot do this, eg: holidays. My aim would be to make the visit worthwhile, and perhaps combine it with a visit to one of the European uke festivals. Heiko Bron

Any time for you Heiko... just book into the hotel down the road and stay as long as you like.

Top Bottom