PDA

View Full Version : String Recomendations

jaydeeaye
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
So i have tried out GHS string and Aquila strings i really enjoy the aquila's but what other string out there are worth investing into. I dont like playing with wounded strings or a low G, and i want to know which strings have a bright sound not low and warm like GHS strings. I like the feel and sound of aquila's but i heard that Worth strings are nice to, and does anyone know what strings aldrine uses??

sleepsinashoe
09-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Worth tend more to the mellow side, so you might not like those (but know that while GHS is certainly "mellow" they don't exactly do it the best, so you might want to consider giving mellow another try).
Aldrine and Jake use d'Addario if I'm not mistaken, and you can get them from the UU store, and they're actually rather cheap from there. They'd be that bright sound that aquila has. There was a comparison video of aquila and d'addario floating around somewhere on youtube if you want to hear it.

buddhuu
09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm a convert from Aquila to Worth. Worth browns totally do it for my mahogany tenor.

I really don't like GHS, and none of the D'Addarios work for me on uke, even though I love their mandolin strings.

Kanaka916
09-17-2009, 05:13 AM
This question always comes up. The most popular strings on UU are probably Worth, Aquila and D'Addario. There also other string sets like Hilo, Ko'olau, Kala, Fremont, Bushman and Orca. A number of folks also like using classical guitar strings from D'Addario and Savarez. A quick search will reveal a number of threads addressing this topic. Bottom line will be personal preference.

Aldrine uses D'Addario Pro Arte Classical Guitar Strings on his Kamaka.

Fred Miu
09-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm a convert from Aquila to Worth. Worth browns totally do it for my mahogany tenor.

ive been wanting to try worth strings.

in all honesty, you should try different strings, look around for peoples review on strings.

i have used D'addario and Aquila strings, and i pick Aquila just for the reason that i have a nice uke that really allows me to let the note ring, pleasing to my ear, while i strum.

now, i havent used D'addario strings on it YET, but i soon hopefully will. and Worths haha.

but good luck in picking what strings you want.

kjmphoto
09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Has anyone used the d'addario J53 strings? That's what I picked up from a local shop. I haven't put them on my new Mitchell MU-100, as I am still testing this uke with the stock GHS strings.

wickedwahine11
09-21-2009, 03:29 AM
I am a big proponent of trying different strings on different ukuleles. For example, I love the Worth browns on my Kamaka, but don't like them at all on my Kanile'a.

The D'addario set on UU is very good as well - and I have used them on both ukes frequently.

I wish there was an easier answer but unfortunately, it seems like it is a trial and error. I have a box filled with strings I tried and didn't care for, but now I've finally settled on what works for me.

Like you, I don't like wound strings, so I'm sticking with Worth brown high G on one ukulele, and the Worth clear low g on the other for now...

Good luck to you in finding what works best on your ukulele...