Uke straps- Yes or No & why

brUKEman

Reaction score
Considering getting a strap for my tenor. How many people here use them and are they helpful. Also, if you put a stap button on the side of the the uke, does it affect the value of the uke. And can you recommend some not too bulky straps.
Thanks to all of you-----

This thread is suppose to go in the 'Uke Talk" section or something..

I'm a uke thong person. But those might be too girlish for you. I like it because I'm not adding anything to the ukulele body.

I own my first tenor ukulele since one week
so maybe i'll change my mind later ;)
but i do not need a strap at all.

I tried a Kala Tenor with a strap from one of my friends. I found it a little bit constricting, I'd rather the chance of it slipping than feel like I can't move around. Besides, the more I play the easier it is for me to hold it for a long time no problem.

I have strap buttons on all my ukes. To me, it makes it easier to change chords quickly. I don't feel like i'll drop the uke without a strap, but the stap holds the neck steady while i play. I just use guitar straps and they seem to work fine for me, plus they're a cheap and easy way to add extra "bling" to your uke.
As far as value goes, it depends on who you're trying to sell to. To those who don't use straps, a strap button is a downer, but to those who use them, it's a plus. As long as you don't crack the wood installing the button, you should be fine.

Man, there have been numerous thorough discussions on straps in the last few months. SEARCH!

I have not tried a strap but I have become more conscious of how I hold the ukulele when I stand up. If you put too much of your right forearm on the wrong part of the top or press the back too much into a squishy beer belly it can really deaden the sound!

that technique is called "belly muting" and can be used to great effect if done properly.:)

For tenors and concerts I need a strap if I'm playing out with it. But for ukes I don't perform out with, or sopranos then no strap.

+1! I agree same here... I love my straps on my tenor... I'll be adding a pickup and strap buttons here to my concert here soon...

looking to find a nice leather strap now for my new tenor. didn't need one with my concert but I find i'm doing more fingerboard work and it would be nice to not have to concentrate on holding it with my forearm anymore. much like how I play guitar, I like to strap up high and close to my body for fingerings.

I thought I wanted the bushman, but it doesn't look like the ones I saw a year or so ago. more plain now. so I'm thinking about heading to tandy leather, getting some tools and such and making my own!

that technique is called "belly muting" and can be used to great effect if done properly.:)

Guess I'm a belly muter, I love that term, I use a strap on all my ukuleles, give me more control over my fretting hand.

Yes

It's either that or lifting up your darn leg to support your uke the whole time, or sit on a chair.

Top Bottom