Converting Guitar tabs to Uke tabs

If you have a standard tuned ukulele GCEA with the G one note higher then the A. If you know scale patterns and chord shapes on the guitar think of the ukulele as a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret. Example if you play a G chord on the guitar and look at the four highest strings the only string of the 4 being fretted is the high e (1rst) at the 3rd fret. Now pick up the ukulele and fret just the high a string at the 3rd fret, that guitar G shaped chord is a C chord on the ukulele.
Now as far as scales go, for the 1rst three strings the scale patterns for a Major, Minor, Pentatonic or any other scale you play on the guitar will be the same patterns but will sound 5 frets higher. If you change to a low G string then Guitar scales will work across all 4 strings. As a long time guitar player who picked up the ukulele I started playing single note scale stuff only on the first three strings because of the familiar patterns I knew from guitar. Once you get used to that there are possibilities of using the 4th string in melody parts that are different from what you can do on guitar because this string is one octave higher.
Now as far as taking any guitar tab and trying to apply it to the ukulele the first and most obvious problem is the lack of any notes in the low range. So no you cannot play all guitar parts on ukulele the same as on guitar. However if you listen to some of the music people are making on the ukulele you will see there are a LOT of possibilities and good players can pull of things you would not think possible. Look for youtube Videos by John King for example he plays classical music and many other things you would not think you could do on the ukulele.
Sorry for the long and rambling post but what it comes down to is this, the ukulele although similar in many ways to the guitar is it's own instrument. I believe that in some ways the limited range of notes make it more of a challenge than the guitar. But is you are willing to apply yourself you will be surprised at what can be done with it.

If you have a standard tuned ukulele GCEA with the G one note higher then the A.

Isn't it the A one step higher than the G? (Just trying to help)

Top Bottom