Yet another noob question about strings!!!

ukeskywalker79

Reaction score
This is kind of a dumb question but I've always wondered about this. Let's say you have a uke thats about a year or two old and has never been played. Do the strings wear out over time, even without playing, due to temperature, humidity, etc.? I guess when in doubt they say just to change them out since strings are very affordable. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing no. But I'll be interested to see what others say. They would certainly be stretched out. Probably out of tune. But they wouldn't be worn out or anything. Strings really do last longer than you think. I've had the same strings on my KoAloha for 11 months and I play it just about daily. Probably dirty but they sure stay in tune. Hope this helps.

Assuming they're physically undamaged, nylon strings will last a very, very long time. I have a set of strings on my old wreck that have been on there since the late 1970s and still sound good. Wednesday I had the opportunity to play my grandmother's 1920s-era Martin O with strings my father estimates to have been put on 45-50 years ago. Same story.

Gut strings deteriorate and steel strings get oogy over time.

--Mark

Top Bottom