Classical Guitar

UkuleleHill

Reaction score
So after some consideration, and searching... I have decided I want to sell my applause accoustic and get a classical guitar. I have looked at the applause/ovation classicals but the only ones I can find look like this:

31XMf9-x9uL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have a ~$200 budget, and would like to find a classical replacement.

Mine I can't find a picture of any that look like it but it is a light green almost grey sunburst to black acoustic electric. Any suggestions? I am open to anything, I like the ovation for the thinner body, but really am open to any ideas.

I think I played this at guitar center the other day... I liked it, so this is a reference of somthing I like :)

Lucero LCT250CE Thinline Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Classical Guitar
478242jpg.jpg

I've been checking out that Lucero too. Everything I read indicates it has a very thin sound except for when plugged. Which is to be expected from any thinling guitar. Seems to be good otherwise. I played one at GC and though it felt amazing, and sounded middle of the road... not perfect for sure but not bad.

I doubt that's very helpful, sorry. But I plan to buy that same one when I can.

I've been checking out that Lucero too. Everything I read indicates it has a very thin sound except for when plugged. Which is to be expected from any thinling guitar. Seems to be good otherwise. I played one at GC and though it felt amazing, and sounded middle of the road... not perfect for sure but not bad.

I doubt that's very helpful, sorry. But I plan to buy that same one when I can.

Very helpful. I had the same opinion. Its good to know I am not alone :) Thanks John! I think I will go ahead and go with it. If you decide to get one you can get them from Musicians Friend for 199 instead of the 229 they are at GC... Also if you get it from MF you get free shipping, and no tax. I might print out the 199 price from several websites and see if they will match the price, or go under it even to make the taxed price comparable... I think they do that sort of thing...

Is there a reason you need an acoustic/electric? Because the electronics just add to the cost, and overall you'll get more bang for your buck quality wise by buying one without it, especially in the $200 price range, where the electronics are going to be "cheap" to begin with.

It has a laminate top, those are always going to sound rather thin and quiet.

It's black, so it's either painted or stained. "Real" classicals aren't black. To me, that looks like something Esteban would be hawking on late night tv.

IMO, you'd be better off going for a solid top Yamaha in the $150 range.

Any certain recomendations?

The reason I want the electronics is because I play it in my praise band at church from time to time...

I cant speak too much for the Lucero myself, I used to work at GC and remember playing it, but it was years ago. I got the feeling that you typically get what you pay for. However, in order to offer you something constructive I researched some basic GC reviews for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lucero-LC100-Classical-Guitar-103233185-i1171410.gc

I would strongly consider Art Lutherie guitars (makers of Seagull, Godin, Simon & Patrick etc). I've never seen a seagull that was poorly made or overpriced...ALL OF THEM are well built and will last. In fact, I've NEVER come across a musician (real players) that have complained about them, and have met several that have had them for 15+ years, raving these guitars for quality and affordability. Seasoned players dont keep inexpensive guitars without a good reason.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Art+&+Lutherie/Ami+Classical/10/1

On a side note: you understand that Musician's friend IS Guitar Center right?:)
if not, you can count this as your "something new" that you learned today.:music:

I cant speak too much for the Lucero myself, I used to work at GC and remember playing it, but it was years ago. I got the feeling that you typically get what you pay for. However, in order to offer you something constructive I researched some basic GC reviews for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lucero-LC100-Classical-Guitar-103233185-i1171410.gc

I would strongly consider Art Lutherie guitars (makers of Seagull, Godin, Simon & Patrick etc). I've never seen a seagull that was poorly made or overpriced...ALL OF THEM are well built and will last. In fact, I've NEVER come across a musician (real players) that have complained about them, and have met several that have had them for 15+ years, raving these guitars for quality and affordability. Seasoned players dont keep inexpensive guitars without a good reason.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Art+&+Lutherie/Ami+Classical/10/1

On a side note: you understand that Musician's friend IS Guitar Center right?:)
if not, you can count this as your "something new" that you learned today.:music:

Thanks for the information! Also thanks for the heads up on musicians friend :) All the more reason why they would or should price match! :D

yeah, its a great business scheme they got going...looks like "competition", but its not. Its exactly what Hardee's and Kmart should do: to look like they've been bought out and re-opened under a new look and name offering competitive price matching etc.

btw, I hate Guitar Center...and China*Mart

In that price range, there are only three guitars that I have seen readily available with electronics. They are Carlo Robelli (and I would not recommend those), Yamaha (they are actually pretty nice players and made fairly well), Ibanez (cheaper than Yamaha).

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...sical-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519622#used

Yamaha classical A/E guitars run $350 range to start.

You might get a much better deal in the used guitar listings on Musician's Friend.

yeah, its a great business scheme they got going...looks like "competition", but its not. Its exactly what Hardee's and Kmart should do: to look like they've been bought out and re-opened under a new look and name offering competitive price matching etc.

btw, I hate Guitar Center...and China*Mart

I understand... I wouldn't be considering them if it weren't for the fact that the only other dealers in my area have prices $50 plus more than GC...

And yes K-Mart should do something like that... Sears even...

i've made it a habit to play at GC...and then find it on ebay. Risky, but usually very much worth it.

I would strongly consider Art Lutherie guitars (makers of Seagull, Godin, Simon & Patrick etc).

Isn't La Patrie the sister company that makes the classical equivalent of a Seagull?

Seagulls are the first thing I recommend when anybody asks me what acoustic they should buy. I just wish they had a Martin style headstock instead of that wedge shape.

Eric

Thanks for the suggestions all. I went to GC again today and played it again just to make sure I like it, and of all of the thinlines they had in my pricerange I liked it the most...

You might want to look into the Valencia's on Rondo Music, specifically the CG-50E. Solid spruce top, shadow electronics, bone nut/saddle, mahogany neck and D'addario strings for a little over $200 shipped. Valencia is made by the same factory that pumps out SX and Douglas/Stadium guitars (available on Rondo) as well as Mahalo ukuleles (they're not all bad..). While SX and Douglas aren't up to Agile quality, they usually only need a good set up out of the box to be nice players. You could ask around on agileguitarforum.com to see if anyone has had an experience with that guitar. There's a nice review of the Valencia CG-LTD3, a slightly higher model, here. Kurt at Rondo is like the MGM of the guitar world so if you don't like it you can send it back easily.

Edit: I was wrong about the Douglas/Stadium guitars being made by the same factory. I think those are actually made in Korea. Team International is the factory that makes SX, Mahalo and Valencia. You can check out the full line and specs of all their instrument on their website.

Last edited:
You might want to look into the Valencia's on Rondo Music, specifically the CG-50E. Solid spruce top, shadow electronics, bone nut and D'addario strings for a little over $200 shipped. Valencia is made by the same factory that pumps out SX and Douglas/Stadium guitars (available on Rondo) as well as Mahalo ukuleles (they're not all bad..). While SX and Douglas aren't up to Agile quality, they usually only need a good set up out of the box to be nice players. You could ask around on agileguitarforum.com to see if anyone has had an experience with that guitar. There's a nice review of the Valencia CG-LTD3, a slightly higher model, here. Kurt at Rondo is like the MGM of the guitar world so if you don't like it you can send it back easily.
I can vouch for Rondo as well. Excellent service. I have a bass and have had an electric guitar from them. Been meaning to look in to those Valencias.

You might want to look into the Valencia's on Rondo Music, specifically the CG-50E. Solid spruce top, shadow electronics, bone nut and D'addario strings for a little over $200 shipped. Valencia is made by the same factory that pumps out SX and Douglas/Stadium guitars (available on Rondo) as well as Mahalo ukuleles (they're not all bad..). While SX and Douglas aren't up to Agile quality, they usually only need a good set up out of the box to be nice players. You could ask around on agileguitarforum.com to see if anyone has had an experience with that guitar. There's a nice review of the Valencia CG-LTD3, a slightly higher model, here. Kurt at Rondo is like the MGM of the guitar world so if you don't like it you can send it back easily.

Hmm some great options there! Thanks!

seriously spend a little more and get a takamine, best bang for your buck by far, the low end begins with the jasmines at about 140 bucks but you can get a G series for 200. but you can also get a solid top with sprice for 300, and that is a very, very nice guitar. better yet is the EG series which really really starts to get nice. starts at about 350.

forget thinlines they sound dreadful unplugged and for 200 bucks your pick up will be lousy so it will sound bad plugged in too. forget cutaways, for the same reason. you have to spend over 600 to get a decent sounding one. they are just for looking flash.

trust me , ive been playing 20 yrs, i studied classical guitar and I have read literally hundreds of reviews in the last couple of years as i seek my own new one.

guitar of choice....

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--TAKEC132C

sweet. to get a guitar this good from any other maker you need to spend double.

Last edited:
Top Bottom