Any left handed people who play right handed?

mrplatypus70

Reaction score
The new uke got mail reminded me that I am one of the left-handed people who play right-handed. When I started on guitar as a teenager I knew someone who played guitar who was left handed and I borrowed their lefty guitar and even though I did not know what I was doing it felt better playing a right handed guitar. To this day I am still convinced everyone else is doing it backwards. I think changing chords and playing scales with the left hand requires more coordination than picking with a pick or fingers with the right hand. Please let me know what you think

I'm left handed and I play like a righty would.. I started like that when I didn't know the difference and now three years later it feels completely natural.

Da Hubby is a lefty and plays righty! And so are 2 others in the uke posse we hang with.

Just remember 1 uke player is a threat, 2's a gang and 3's a menace!

Cool I am not the only backwards person here! The only disadvantage I have found is when using a pick for guitar or mandolin I can not do real fast picking, but if I flip the guitar over backwards and use my left hand I can pick faster. As far as fingerpicking with my right (less coordinated) hand I have not had a problem.

im a left footer and left hander, but i can only play the ukulele right handed

This comes up a lot on guitar forums. The truth is, in playing a plucked/stringed instrument, both hands are equally important. It's not like your right hand was born to pick/strum and your left hand born to fret.

Look at an orchestra... how many violinists are playing left-handed? How many left-handed pianos have you ever seen?

To this day I am still convinced everyone else is doing it backwards. I think changing chords and playing scales with the left hand requires more coordination than picking with a pick or fingers with the right hand. Please let me know what you think

I *completely* agree. I'm left handed and play guitar (have for decades) and uke "right handed". I believe it to be the logical approach that the left hand is dealing with the complexities on the neck.

My sis-in-law is a left handed guitar player. When she meets young peeps who are just learning a stringed instrument she tells them, learn right, in the long run it'll be easier, there's always a right handed guitar at parties....never a left.

Funny thing is, when she is somewhere without her lefty guitar, I've seen her flip a righty guitar to her left and finger the chords upside down......it's amazing!

Yeah, I'm a lefty playing like a righty. I started out trying to play like a lefty... but I thought it was too much trouble to try and learn it a different way than most people... so I tried to get used to playing righty and now it's fine.

The new uke got mail reminded me that I am one of the left-handed people who play right-handed. When I started on guitar as a teenager I knew someone who played guitar who was left handed and I borrowed their lefty guitar and even though I did not know what I was doing it felt better playing a right handed guitar. To this day I am still convinced everyone else is doing it backwards. I think changing chords and playing scales with the left hand requires more coordination than picking with a pick or fingers with the right hand. Please let me know what you think

I agree, that's how I do it. When I started a lot of people were surprised at how fast I picked it up, they didn't allow for our advantage.

I'm a lefty who plays righty, and I think its just because there were never any lefty guitars or ukes around me so I just adapted to learning how to play righty.

i'm left handed, and i play right, but it's kind of wierd. when i first started on guitar, around 6 years ago, i played left handed. then i gave guitar up. came back to it 5 years later, i just could not play lefty, only righty. now i play uke right handed.

When I first started playing (in the 1960s) I was playing whole songs literally in a matter of minutes. Everything just fell into place. Perhaps that is it... I am a LEFTY, playing righty. I ever thought about it, at all, but that might very well explain a lot of things. One thing I do know, I will never be a shredder, but I have a rock-solid rhythm and can play guitar, bass, drums and lots of other instruments.

Me too. Me too.

I wonder if I would play better if I tried to learn to play lefty, because I think my left hand has the rhythm in it better than the right. But it is difficult to switch. Only my left hand knows the chords and fret patterns. :wallbash:

I'm a lefty who plays right-handed. Makes a lot more sense to me, anyway. My left hand has better dexterity than my right, which makes it ideal for fretting.

How many left-handed pianos have you ever seen?

I thought all pianos were left-handed. :confused: :D

--Mark

left handed playing right handed here, i think left handers that play left are probably the minority.

I'm kind of surprised that there are so many lefties in here! It's kind of cool. There seems to be some kind of dynamic here between leftyness and uke attraction. I guess us lefties are used to being a bit out of the mainstream anyway, so uke playing just continues the pattern.

Lefties ROCK! :rock:

Top Bottom