Fretboard needs help!

kjmphoto

Reaction score
This is a bit off-topic in terms of instruments, but I thought this would be the best place to post this, and it is applicable to ukes.

I am new to the uke world, but have been playing acoustic guitar for years. One of my acoustic guitars--Seagull S6 cedar top--has never had any maintenance done on the fretboard. The guitar still plays great, but the fretboard looks awful...and I mean awful! We are talking years of grime built-up on the neck.

I'm embarrassed to post this picture, because it makes me look terrible, but my baby is in dire need of a cleaning. So how do I start? Seagull recommends lemon or danish oil. I obviously need to get all this grime off first, though.

Can I save my baby's neck?!

P1010101.jpg

Last edited:
its easy to clean it each time you clean strings...you dont need to oil it (or whatever is recommended) each time, but you should get in the habit of cleaning it every so often when you change the strings.

that fretboard is disgusting lol...good for you. at least you are playing it

Thanks...

buddhuu,

thanks for the link. looks like a useful site.

cornfed,

pretty nasty, i know. gotta love it!

Gibson sells a fantastic fretboard conditioner that I've used for years, and have had fantastic results. However, I'm sure any brand will do. Just dab a few drops down the fretboard, and use a toothbrush or q-tip to wipe away the grime. The conditioner will also keep the fretboard from drying out and cracking.

Gcow

So fretboard cleaner should be able to clean off the grime that I'm seeing on my fretboard without too much scrubbing?

That looks downright unsanitary! At least the instrument has been played and loved a lot.

I have a copy of How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine. He lists a bunch of solvents. Among them is what I use on my own rosewood fretboards: Murphy's Oil Soap and a toothbrush followed by a couple of good wipe-downs with lemon oil. If it's crusted on there like it looks to be and is oily/greasy, he says you can use a little naptha (lighter fluid) if you don't leave a soaked rag sitting on the finish.

I'd start with oil soap, as sparing as possible, and work up from there. Good luck.

When I change my strings I usually scrub a little with lemon oil on the fret board of the missing string with an old toothbrush. Then I let it sit a bit, then rub off the excess oil and grime with a rag. The toothbrush helps keep the grime from building up close to the frets where you might not get it just by rubbing with a cloth. Also by letting some lemon oil soak into the fret board it also helps condition the wood and prevents cracking of the fret board. By the way I like Seagull guitars I have the 12 string version S12, great guitar and not too much $!!

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice, and for being kind to me. I do love my guitar. I just need to start treating her better.

I'm going to use a lemon oil compound that I got at a local guitar shop, and go from there.

I'll post an update when I have the Seagull looking purdy again. Thanks again!

brush with very fine wire wool soaked in Lem Oil (very lightly), then rub in some oil afterwards, dry and buff off. Will work wonders.

Wood is pretty resilient, and it should come up sparkly!

If the fretboard has black grimy crud up near the frets a useful tool is a credit card if it is really stubborn.
Don't use lemon oil.!!

If you want to clean the fretboard use Naptha,on a rag. ( Naptha is lighter fluid, the stuff that is used in Zippos) it is of great use in the guitar workshop and has loads of cleaning uses), gentle rubbing with the cloth and Naptha should get rid of most of the crud. If that won't do it, then soften it with the Naptha and gentle use of the credit card.
Once all that has been done, rub the frets with a clean cloth which will bring them up to a shine, no need for anything abrasive, just elbow grease!
Then treat the whole fretboard to a drink of Fret Doctor and job done!

enjoy

whats wrong with lemon oil?

as i recall, gibson recommend it for cleaning and feeding their acoustic necks..

Prolonged use of lemon oil soaks into the wood, it doesn't really protect. The biggest problem is the "old " lemon oil is no longer made or sold and the modern equivalent named Lemon oil is full of all kinds of not so nice chemicals.
I would really steer clrear of modern lemon oil, actually the best stuff is Linseed oil based , but it has to be raw Linseed which is not really nice stuff to have around.
However Fret Doctor which in fact is Bore oil as used by most woodwind players, is very good, smells much nicer than lemon oil too almost an almond smell and is really good for bare wood.
Hope that answers the question. I think WD do Fret Doctor, I always get mine from Fret Doctor direct..
If you have a look at Dan Erlewine site ( Famous Guitar tech he recommend the use of a linseed based fretboard treatment , but it has to be raw linseed and not the boiled stuff. Raw linseed can combust at a very low point so be carfull of rags with it on and how they are disposed of.

all the best and didn't mean to step on anyones corns.

:)

Top Bottom