Help with strumming

Phil Major

Reaction score
I have a tough time figuring out strumming patterns if they are not made explicit (a la video for instance). And, when I know the stumming pattern, I'm still no good at it. This seems like a pretty basic think to learn, but I'm still pretty poor at it.

Does anyone know how I can get better at this? Could someone suggest a song or two with the most basic strumming and a song or two that progess a little from there? I'm thinking that if I start over from the start and get it down correctly, I can work my way up from there

Thanks!

This probably should have been posted in the tips section. But I dont know how to move it once its been posted so I'll leave it here... my bad.

Last edited:
I would practice just going from one chord to another and back again with the simplest strum and work up from there, still using just 2 chords.

One of the easiest strums is all downward strokes on quarter notes.

If you don't know what quarter notes are, I can explain it like this:

Most music is in what's called "4/4" time. "4/4" is a "time signature." The number before (or above) the slash tells you how many beats there are to a "measure." A measure is what you see separated by straight lines in sheet music. The number after the slash tells you what kind of note counts as one beat.

So "4/4" time means that there are 4 beats to a measure, and a quarter note counts as one beat. Using the same logic, we can see that "6/8" time (another common time signature) means there are 6 beats to a measure, and an eighth note (half the length of a quarter note) counts as one beat.

Lengthy explanation aside, start with two easy chords: C and F. We'll use "4/4" time, and each chord will last for one measure (4 beats).

Count the beats aloud as you play like this:

"1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and"

Finger your C chord. Strum down when you say a number. When you say "and," your hand comes up but does not strum.

When you get to the last "and" after the 4th beat, switch to the F chord and do the same thing, this time switching from F to C on the last "and".

Keep doing that for a few minutes until you can switch from chord to chord without missing a beat. There should be no lag time while you switch chords. If you need to go slower, go right ahead.

Once you've got that going pretty good, we'll add an up stroke.

This time, say the following "mantra" out loud as you strum:

"1 and 2 up 3 and 4 and"

As you can probably guess, you'll strum up when you say, "up".

On every "and" your hand is coming up but not strumming. When you say "up" after the 2nd beat, your hand will touch the strings and strum.

If we were to replace the numbers in our "mantra" with words, we can say:

"down and down up down and down and"

If it's easier for you to strum with this "mantra," go right ahead.

Let yourself get comfortable with this new wrinkle in your strum before we add another. Give yourself as long as it takes. Remember, you shouldn't miss any beats! There should be no break in your speech cadence as your switch chords.

Ready for another wrinkle? Try this one:

"down and down up down up down and"

Now that we have this method of constructing strums, you should be able to explore and create your own.

I don't have any advice, but I can offer hope.

I've only been playing for a month and a half now, and beside developing the calus's on my fingers strumming was the bain of my existance.

However, but just sticking to it and not getting discouraged I've gotten the hang of a few different strums.

I'm not really good or anything, but peaople do actually ask me to play now.

Keep on it!

Wow... Seeso that's an excellent first lesson on strumming. I really need to spend time working on some basic drills to train myself. Thats good advice for building some basic drills.

And, CYNICALifornia... I bet it feels good to be over that hurdle and getting some love.. good on ya.

Wow... Seeso that's an excellent first lesson on strumming. I really need to spend time working on some basic drills to train myself. Thats good advice for building some basic drills.

And, CYNICALifornia... I bet it feels good to be over that hurdle and getting some love.. good on ya.

Try out that doctoruke site I posted in the other thread. It seems like a very helpful resource.

What has helped me is just to relax and and just do my own strum. I'm not looking to copy anyone else, so as long as it fits, if it sounds good it is good. The only rule really is to keep a good meter going.

I know my musician's ego is checking in to play there, and I don't need that big of an ego on the uke considering it's nowhere near deserved, but I feel ok saying it now that one hell of a strummer in the local uke club told me he can't read strumming patterns, and can't follow along either. I stopped feeling so bad about it.

Now one thing I do differently is that I don't strum down with my forefinger. The nail just sounds too hard on the upstroke and it's not even long. I use the method taught in my "Joy of ukulele" dvd, and that's thumb down and finger up. It feels more natural to me.

I've only learned a few "official" strums. (Gotta have a triplet, after all.)

One thing I can suggest though, is that once you're comfortable with keeping a solid beat while switching chords, remember how important silence is. Or at least, muted chords.

As one of my pool instructors told me, "Ya gotta use english at both ends of the stick." I do a lot of rhythmic stuff by muting, mainly with my fretting hand.

It's also helpful to change up on pace sometimes. If you've got a tune that's a buttload of frenetic thrashing through most of it, finding a part where you can strum less is a nice change of pace. The reverse is also true.

Main thing is not to worry overmuch. Take it at your own pace, it ain't a contest. And it'll come to you with practice.

Yeah... muting and changing the strum significantly seems to bugger me up. I get going and settle in ok, then when it has to change I get messed. Muting shoulnt be any harder, but its like one more thing to worry about since it involves that much more technique.

I am getting the groove back, so I'm excited about that... but I am always looking for ways to get that solid foundation that I've not really bothered with.

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all used to suck at strumming. Keep at it and practice, practice, practice. Your strummin will come around and adding other techniques is what really adds some color to your playing. Don't forget to "feel" the music and have fun! ;)

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all used to suck at strumming. Keep at it and practice, practice, practice. Your strummin will come around and adding other techniques is what really adds some color to your playing. Don't forget to "feel" the music and have fun! ;)

I think your point about 'feeling' the music is well made. I've started to simplify the strumming on some songs I'm trying to learn so that I can sing along and not get messed up. I figure if I dont strum it eactly as it should be, as long as it sounds ok, then I should be good to go for now. I am still open to suggestions, especially the kind seeso offered to help me train myself to strum better.

Thanks

I've started to simplify the strumming on some songs I'm trying to learn so that I can sing along and not get messed up. I figure if I dont strum it eactly as it should be, as long as it sounds ok, then I should be good to go for now.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding! Winner!

The more times you play a song where all the simple stuff is working for you the easier it'll become to add a fancy fillip here and there. You'll stop having to think about it as much and just do it.

(Apologies for sounding like a tennis shoe commercial there.)

Best part is that it'll be more fun in the meantime.

This is a helpful doc that i found a link to somewhere.

Strums

It's pretty basic notation so some of the strums have more to them than shown here. but if you practice these it'll break the habit of just going down up down up.

I find once i practice a song a ton of times and start to get it down i just start mixing up the strums to whatever feels right for the song. Though i'm still pretty much a beginner so who knows.

Chris

the way they teach at roy sakumas is to start with dduud, like in surf, and keep doing sons with that strum pattern, then move to something like breakdown by jack johnson, which is dduxd, which i was taught the X is like strumming up again, but a "miss" where you dont touch the strings, just so you keep tempo and your hands are moving. breakdown chords are c, em, am, g. keep practicing and youll get it. when i learn a new strum pattern, thats all i do for maybe 10 minutes, till i get it down

Top Bottom