My new Pono

freedive135

Reaction score
I went and picked up my new Pono Soprano. It's the 'Oahi wood, I got to play 2 of them and picked this one for the wood color/patteren. I couldnt tell much difference between them.

It is tiny bit bigger in the body but has a smaller sound hole than the Mahogany one I have that cracked. It is a little smaller than my KoAloha Soprano. None of the 3 sound anything alike.
At first I wasn't sure I liked the tone/sound of it but wrote that off the the gold strings, I haven't cared for those on any uke I've put them on to me they sound cheep.
My shop was out of Aquilla's so a string change will have to wait a week or so, but after playin some old style Hapa-Haole (HH) music on it for a couple hours I might just leave them on for a while. The Uke/string combo sounds like some of the old HH vinyl records I have from the 40's-50's, that tinny sound that came from listening to those old am style radio's.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=436&pictureid=3491

Last edited:
Cool. I'm getting used to mine, it does have a sound all its own. I tried Aquilas on mine and they were good, but after hearing some test recordings I went back to heavy nylon strings with low G - it really wakes up the Ohai.

One thing I like about it is you can whale away on it and it doesn't start to sound noisy, it still sounds clean.

I have the Pono Soprano as well, and i really love the way it sounds.
It is very clean indeed, and alot of sustain.

Even though the ko'olau gold were not that bad on it i changed them for Worth clear (CM type) strings, and now i definitely enjoy the sound of this instrument.

With Worth clear it sounds louder, and with even more sustain. Besides, while ko'olau strings were rather okay for picking, i didnt like them for strumming at all. Worth clear strings are far better for both strumming and picking, i feel like the instrument vibrates more with them, it is a very strange feeling.

I love the finish of the instrument and the sound with these new strings.
One thing i dislike a bit though is the colour of the neck compared with the table. It looks like it is of a different wood...

Anyway, grats on your "collector" uke, since Pono stops making them.

pono's r so nice!!

Thanks everyone!!!
I'm really starting to like this new uke but I don't think it will replace my KoAloha anytime soon.

Just wondering, why did you buy it, considering you already own a KoAloha?
Also, try worth clear on the Pono. :)

Well the story goes...

I was lookin for a uke with that Vintage Martin sound with out payin the Martin $$$$$ and my uke shop guys told me to go with the Pono Mahogany Soprano as it was supposed to be built around the spec's of the Vintage Martin's.

I dropped the money and really liked the uke alot played it all the time but was lusting for a Koa wood Soprano and really liked the sound of the KoAloha's. For Christmas last year I treated myself to my KoAloha.

This spring I noticed that the wood was starting to move on my little Pono in several places, the back was seperating from the sides.
When my shop contacted Pono they told us that they were not making my Mahogany uke anymore. I was bummed.
Pono sent me this 'Ohai wood one to make things good. Would I buy this uke? More than likely (UAS).
It's a nice one and I would tell anyone lookin for a uke in this price range to get one.

Well the story goes...

I was lookin for a uke with that Vintage Martin sound with out payin the Martin $$$$$ QUOTE]

That is because they sale Ponos. The Mele is the closest sounding uke to a vintage martin out there imo. I own a Pono as well but my mele mahghany sounds way better. Congrats on the new uke though. They are sweet ukes.

Interesting post. I just picked up a new Pono soprano this week, Oahi wood. Love the looks of the Oahi wood. Happy to have it since they've been discontinued. I'll keep the strings for a while but would like to switch. Any other recommendations besides the Worth?

Awhile back I put some Aquilla Concert strings on her and it made a huge difference. She is now in the playing rotation.
To my ears it this Uke now sounds like something from back in the tin pan alley days of Ukulele...

Nice Pono! I looked at your build process for your Tiki Lounge. Very cool. Nice work and inviting. Your carvings add the right touch. Perfect place for playing your ukes. :music:

Loved the Tiki lounge with the mug and your new Pono!!:drool: Makes we wish (again) I was back in the Islands!!!:iwant:
Congrats!!!!!!

I now have heavy black nylon strings on mine, I am liking the "chunk chunk" strumming sound.

By the way, I looked inside it, at the neck block, and I see a serial number "090001", does that mean I have the first one ever made?

Last edited:
Thanks guy's It tokk a while to get the other half to let me do that to the basement.

Mine has the same # on the neck block too, I was wondering the same thing!!!!

Top Bottom