I've Gone Pro

Harold O.

Reaction score
A couple of brothers I know have a studio setup in their garage. These are professional music guys and they bought the house because of the garage space. They do a lot of soundtrack and background music fillers for TV shows.

They called me over to build them a custom desk for their keyboard, equipment rack, computer, etc. While there, they asked asked if I play any instruments. Sure, I tell them, I strum a uke at the Guitar Merchant most Tuesday nights with the house band.

Turns out they've been thinking of adding a ukulele track to help fill some mood setups for Survivor. They have the general tracks laid down and want the uke to round out the sound. We played back the pre-recorded material, set up a chord chart, and I recorded four different segments of about 60 seconds each.

I figured I was just being friendly with some guys, but they insisted on paying me $125. It ain't union wages, but it's $123 more than I was going to ask for (just so I could add "Professional Musician" to the resume).

Jeez, I just started playing in October. Can't wait to see what I make happen next...

Very nice! I thought you were going to say you've started busking outside your favorite cafe! ;)
(Oddly enough, busking is something I aspire to!)

Interesting what "coincidentally" comes your way, when you put your intention/interests out there. Congrats!

nice man, you gotta get a copy of it for us!

125 bucks is a good chunk of dough, you could invest it in another ukulele. So does this band have a website? Like myspace or facebook? or mp3s for download?

on a similar note- I had my first paying gig last night.. I've started playing uke in my friends band Richard Cranium and while I have played with them 6 times or so already most of our gigs are for free and last nights paid 250. $20 for gas off the top and $230 split between the 6 of us (vocals guitar bass uke drums and mandolin) and thats a cool $38. No $125, but it does feel nice knowing I've played just over a year and I can call myself "pro"

Congratulations, next thing you know you'll be making millions :D Wel maybe not, but a little money on the side from a hobby is never bad!

on a similar note- I had my first paying gig last night.. I've started playing uke in my friends band Richard Cranium and while I have played with them 6 times or so already most of our gigs are for free and last nights paid 250. $20 for gas off the top and $230 split between the 6 of us (vocals guitar bass uke drums and mandolin) and thats a cool $38. No $125, but it does feel nice knowing I've played just over a year and I can call myself "pro"

Thats very cool!

Wow, that's awesome! I probably would have done it just for fun too, but hey, that's almost enough money to get a Flea there!

Congratulations Harold. That's so cool!

Congrats!
That's 125 bucks more than I ever earned with my uke!

I would buy a CD of your performances, if it was available. And, I know people would buy your tabs, if you offered them. Maybe you could get someone to transcribe your tabs for you, and you could split the profits. I know there might be some copyright related expenses, but it's just a thought...

–Lori

I figured I was just being friendly with some guys, but they insisted on paying me $125. It ain't union wages, but it's $123 more than I was going to ask for (just so I could add "Professional Musician" to the resume).

Jeez, I just started playing in October. Can't wait to see what I make happen next...

I'm glad I met you before you became famous, Harold :) !:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13511

$125 bucks is twice as much as an 8 hour work day for minimum wage. You may have found a new niche. Let us know if it shows up in a commercial. You've come a long way! Ric

Top Bottom