Help with my Little Guitar

the.ronin

Reaction score
A relative wanted to get me a ukulele on a trip to the Philippines and ended up picking up a little 6-string guitar for me haha. :D

I had restrung it and tuned it so that I could play it like uke. But I want to go back and string it like a guitar and try to learn it. I don't think I can use regular guitar strings for it though. What strings should I use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lilguitar1.jpg

lilguitar2.jpg

What's the scale length? You can probably use standard classical guitar strings and tune it up a few steps. A D G C E A

The top four will remain in Uke tuning with the two added bass strings.

Yeah if its a classical you can use as Dave said standard classical guitar strings. Most of the ukulele string makers make classical guitar strings as well, so you can get whatever you perfer for your ukulele and see what you think!

Thanks Dave ... by scale length do you mean actual measurement? It's about 9-3/4 from the tip of the fretboard to the nut. 14 frets.

So do you mean from top to bottom ADGCEA? And you think just a regular set of acoustic guitar strings would work?

Sorry, I'm totally ignorant to this surff. :eek:

Scale length is probably nearer to 15-17". Full string length from Nut to Saddle.

I listed the strings from bass to treble, and in that tuning a standard Classical Guitar set should work. DON'T use steel strings, you'll destroy your guitar.

Last edited:
Ah a requinto!! :D

Thanks so much for the info, guys. The strings it originally came with were actually wound but nowhere near as heavy as whats on my wife's regular size acoustic guitar.

[edit] And yes, Dave you are right on - it's just a bit north of 15" from nut to saddle.

Ah a requinto!! :D

Thanks so much for the info, guys. The strings it originally came with were actually wound but nowhere near as heavy as whats on my wife's regular size acoustic guitar.
Check out stringsbymail.com, they carry requinto strings. Also, there are what are called "kinder" strings for smaller guitars (like 1/4 scale), SBM has some by Hannabach.

Thank you itsme ... I picked up a set of D’addario requinto strings in A-D-G-c-e-a.

Would I be able to tune this in regular acoustic guitar e-B-G-D-A-E?

No. The guages are different. Tuning them down that low won't give you the tension you need to play properly.

Top Bottom