Contemplating a build - Advice?

Reaction score
So I found this soprano kit on eBay and I have a cigar box that has the right measurements for a soprano uke.

77ab_12.JPG

What I noticed was that the next does not have any support to slot into the actual body (or cigar box in this case) and I was wondering if this would cause a problem when it came to my uke staying together.

I've never done any form of woodwork construction, but if all it came down to was gluing the bits together (wood glue and bigass rubber bands?), a bit of sanding here and there and maybe drilling some holes for the bridge I doubt I'd run into TOO many problems, right?

I also have some Aquila strings - Just for good measure!

Could this work? Any tips on what might go horribly wrong?

Thank you in advance my good ukesters :)

UPDATE:

Cigar box uke made. Thought you might like to know. If I'm mistaken, then my apologies!

Here s/he is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bi98FGrek

Last edited:
I used the Grizzly kit to make my first uke. The hardest part for me was sanding the radius on the neck to match the body. It took me quite some time to accomplish the neck angle and the radius. If I did another, I would look closer at the neck angle. With the height of the fretboard and the saddle in consideration, my neck should have been maybe 89 or 88 degrees to the body instead of 90. Or a thicker fretboard.

Then again my thinking might be totally wrong as I am a total newb.

Cowboy chords are great but intonation and string height up the neck suck!

So the neck won't be a problem considering the lack of connection? I was going to get the Grizzly, but they wouldn't deliver to Ireland >_<

Worst case scenario, if the cigar box doesn't fit I can just use the body it came with.

I just wanted to make sure there were no MAJOR flaws in what I was about to do. I'll keep you posted! Thanks!

Top Bottom