Ukes for kids, anyone?

Valerie

Reaction score
:cheers:
We've done it, and helped buy 280 kids ukulele's for their classroom!!!

Click HERE!!!

If you missed out on this one, but would still like to help some kids get some ukes. Here is mission #2:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19264

Original post:
There is a teacher at a Chicago school that is looking to buy some ukes for her students.

If ~21 of us donate 10 bucks each, she could get them.

What do you say?

When you donate there is an option that says "Make this donation in honor of someone" There we could put "Ukulele Underground"

~Valerie

Last edited:
Here's the project write-up from the teacher:

I teach general music in urban city. I teach music to over 600 students at 2 elementary schools, grades K-8. Students sing, play instruments, create music, and compose.

My music students in grades 4-8 are interested in learning how to play instruments that would allow them to create music in a social environment. The language arts school does not own a large number of age appropriate instruments for students in these grades, and we do not own any instruments that would allow these students to perform music while singing in a group.

In order to have my music students perform, create, and write music on age appropriate instruments in a way that would best meet their social needs and interests, I am requesting 5 standard ukuleles to be used to students at the language arts school. While the instruments will be used by all students in grades 1-8, they are intended for those in grades 4-8.

Students will learn the history and culture of Hawaii and Portugal. Students will learn how to play chords, how to strum, and they will learn to sing songs as they accompany themselves on the ukulele, and eventually they will compose their own songs.

Your donation to this project will make it possible for our school to have a ukulele ensemble, and for our music students to continue to develop skills in singing, note reading, and composing.

I'd like to help. Two questions:

1) Is $210 really enough?
2) How/where do we make the donation?

Thank you for posting this. I was glad to be able to make a small donation to support a great project.

They take credit cards and paypal. Look for the 'Give' button in the upper right and then enter an amount.

The teacher had to submit a detailed budget to the website donorschoose.org

So, yes, 210 is enough (crazy, hu?) The ukes they are getting are the Lanikai budget starter model, soprano size.

To make a donation, simply click on the "Click HERE" link in the original post.

Or copy/paste this into your web-browser:

_http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=309592&utm_source=api&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=bodylink&utm_campaign=I98eM0hy_

(without the underscore at beginning and end... the forum is being weird and not letting me post the link without converting it into a hyperlink...)

Last edited:
Just donated. :D

*cheers!*

Only 10 more people needed to donate 10 bucks, and the kids get the ukuleles!

Contributed in honor and memory of Vincent Daniel Rooney aka "Captain Google".

Don't know if you guys saw it, but the Teacher Ms. F replied:

"Thank you to all the ukulele players from Ukulele Underground! My students and I appreciate the support!"

$24 to go!

Top Bottom