PDA

View Full Version : Ukes for kids, anyone?

Valerie
09-21-2009, 03:09 AM
:cheers:
We've done it, and helped buy 280 kids ukulele's for their classroom!!!

Click HERE!!! (http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=309592&utm_source=api&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=bodylink&utm_campaign=I98eM0hy)

If you missed out on this one, but would still like to help some kids get some ukes. Here is mission #2:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19264

Original post:
There is a teacher at a Chicago school that is looking to buy some ukes for her students.

If ~21 of us donate 10 bucks each, she could get them.

What do you say?

When you donate there is an option that says "Make this donation in honor of someone" There we could put "Ukulele Underground"

~Valerie

Valerie
09-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Here's the project write-up from the teacher:

I teach general music in urban city. I teach music to over 600 students at 2 elementary schools, grades K-8. Students sing, play instruments, create music, and compose.

My music students in grades 4-8 are interested in learning how to play instruments that would allow them to create music in a social environment. The language arts school does not own a large number of age appropriate instruments for students in these grades, and we do not own any instruments that would allow these students to perform music while singing in a group.

In order to have my music students perform, create, and write music on age appropriate instruments in a way that would best meet their social needs and interests, I am requesting 5 standard ukuleles to be used to students at the language arts school. While the instruments will be used by all students in grades 1-8, they are intended for those in grades 4-8.

Students will learn the history and culture of Hawaii and Portugal. Students will learn how to play chords, how to strum, and they will learn to sing songs as they accompany themselves on the ukulele, and eventually they will compose their own songs.

Your donation to this project will make it possible for our school to have a ukulele ensemble, and for our music students to continue to develop skills in singing, note reading, and composing.

deach
09-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Sounds like a great plan to me.

Kmetzger
09-21-2009, 03:54 AM
I'd like to help. Two questions:

1) Is $210 really enough?
2) How/where do we make the donation?

baumer
09-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Thank you for posting this. I was glad to be able to make a small donation to support a great project.

They take credit cards and paypal. Look for the 'Give' button in the upper right and then enter an amount.

Valerie
09-21-2009, 04:02 AM
The teacher had to submit a detailed budget to the website donorschoose.org

So, yes, 210 is enough (crazy, hu?) The ukes they are getting are the Lanikai budget starter model, soprano size.

To make a donation, simply click on the "Click HERE" link in the original post.

Or copy/paste this into your web-browser:

_http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=309592&utm_source=api&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=bodylink&utm_campaign=I98eM0hy_

(without the underscore at beginning and end... the forum is being weird and not letting me post the link without converting it into a hyperlink...)

hoosierhiver
09-21-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm in! :D

Kmetzger
09-21-2009, 05:58 AM
I just gave. They now only need another $100.

Valerie
09-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Awesome!

Keep 'em coming guys!

pithaya9
09-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Just donated. :D

Valerie
09-21-2009, 06:17 AM
*cheers!*

Only 10 more people needed to donate 10 bucks, and the kids get the ukuleles!

brickerenator
09-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Done!

If it brings them as much fun as it has brought me, then I can do nothing else but give.

Kmetzger
09-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Only $83 dollars more to go!

Ronnie Aloha
09-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm in for $20.

Kmetzger
09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Just 33 dollars more to go.

Ahnko Honu
09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributed in honor and memory of Vincent Daniel Rooney aka "Captain Google".

kailua
09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Done. A very worthy cause. :)

Kmetzger
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I kicked in $50.

There's now just $23.15 left to go.

JT_Ukes
09-21-2009, 11:38 AM
You guys all Rock and Rock hard! (see the capital Rs?)

JT

Valerie
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Don't know if you guys saw it, but the Teacher Ms. F replied:

"Thank you to all the ukulele players from Ukulele Underground! My students and I appreciate the support!"

$24 to go!

Valerie
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Wahoo!!!

We've done it!

The classroom project is completely funded.

Thanks guys! You are awesome.

Ronnie Aloha
09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Good job Valerie! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

ddepp
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you Valerie!

I'm feeling pretty good right now knowing that I was a small part of a project that will make a difference to a couple hundred kids in Ms F's classes.

Thanks for challenging us to make it happen.

Valerie
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
You're welcome!

I stumbled upon the project by accident, while trying to donate to a neighborhood classroom.

I actually found three classrooms that are requesting ukes.

I picked this one to bring up first because they were asking for the least amount of money...

Here's the second classroom:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19264

itsme
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
What a great project to help fund!

It saddens me to think that music education is always one of the first areas to get cut when budgets are tight. I started my life-long love of playing music because of one very special teacher I had when I was 12. (Thank you, Mr. Brown!)

Don't know if you guys saw it, but the Teacher Ms. F replied...
She's updated her post:

Dear KMetzger, Matt Clara, Ronnie Aloha, David, UkuleleUnderground.com, Ahnko Honu, Thomas, Jack, Mike, Eric, Ukulele Underground and Anonymous Donor,

Thank you for your generous donation to "We Want to Play Ukuleles, Part 3"! Your thoughtful donation has purchased a total of 5 standard sized ukuleles, which will be added to the classroom supply of ukuleles in the music room. I am a music teacher at 2 schools. Over the past year I have written similar grants for ukuleles and with this grant I am closer to having a full classroom set of instruments at each school! Students will use the ukuleles while performing folk songs, accompanying the group, learning about chords, and while learning about world music. I also intend to have students compose songs based on chords. Thank you for your donation!

With gratitude,
Ms. F.
I think ukes are perfect for kids in a classroom environment. Easier to handle and learn and (generally) less expensive than guitars.

I poked around that site and was somewhat bothered by this one:

http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=278695

The teacher is asking for $4,452.17 to fund 12 Half-Size Requinto Classical Guitars and 12 sets of Martin acoustic steel strings.

Egads! You don't put acoustic steel strings on a classical guitar, ever! And the items were sourced from the same supplier, why didn't they tell the teacher that?

I would like to start a guitar class after school to the approach that is non-competitive, light-hearted and fun. It starts with guitars tuned Hawaiian style in Open G tuning because this allows children as young as three to strum over the open strings and sing right away. No fine motor skills are required to begin playing.
Someone should tell that teacher they'd be much better off with ukes in the classroom!