Truss rod vs. scale length, string tension, etc.

etkre

Reaction score
I'm sure there's more than one factor, but what point does it become necessary to incorporate a tension rod into a neck's design? Are there any rules of thumb? Is it ever necessary with nylon strings?

Thanks,
Eric

Ron this is a ukulele forum...

Duh! :rolleyes:

If a classical guitar with nylon strings doesn't need a truss rod why should a nylon stringed uke?

Why don't you answer Eric's question instead of trying to cause trouble again?

There are a lot of 80 year old mandolins without truss rods that have straight necks and they carry about 150 pounds of string tension. I believe its more about wood selection and construction method than anything else. I don't think short scale instruments need them but I put them in everything except soprano ukes because it seems to make the customer feel better knowing that they can adjust it if they need to do so.

Thanks guys. So when you're building a neck, how do you get it to bow the correct amount? Do you build them perfectly straight and hope that the strings pull the right amount of tension required for proper bowing?

I build them perfectly straight. I am not aware that they bow at all, nor would I want them to.

Ukantor.

Thanks guys. So when you're building a neck, how do you get it to bow the correct amount? Do you build them perfectly straight and hope that the strings pull the right amount of tension required for proper bowing?

That is what I struggle with on ukes because on steel string instruments I allow for the neck relief provided by the string pull but I don't have that on my ukuleles, so I have some difficulty with the action. I want to set it low like I do on my mandolins but it just isn't going to happen due to the nylon strings.

You can create the neck relief by sanding it into the board, with a truss rod or glue in a carbon fiber rod with the neck clamped in a bow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom