More Ukes 4 Kids

Valerie

Reaction score
Ukes 4 Kids: Classroom needs some ukes

The UU gang has helped one teacher get ukes for her music class in a Chicago public school.

If anyone missed out donating to that project, here's project #2

http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=287377

Here's the blurb from the music teacher, Ms. H:
Students at the Colorado Title I school where I teach elementary music need many classroom instrumental musical opportunities as private music lessons are not an option for most.

Many of my students express a desire to learn guitar. Because of the prohibitive cost of buying guitars and the lack of physical storage space in my classroom, I would like to use ukuleles in my Grade 3-5 music classes. I would also offer an after school extracurricular activity for very motivated students.

Ukuleles will be a fun way for my students to grasp chord structures while accompanying themselves and each other. I hope to provide ukes for one classroom of students by obtaining 13 ukuleles through Donors Choose and use the equivalent amount of money from my limited budget for a total of 26 instruments.

Your help with this ukulele project would add significantly to our Title I students' musical education by letting them experience playing chords and accompanying themselves on the ukulele, a stringed instrument.

Title 1 schools get government funding because greater than 40% of the children come from families that are 130% below the poverty line. While the government steps in to make sure these students get good reading and math scores, music education often isn't on the agenda.

So...

These kids asked for guitars...

Lets give em ukes!

~Valerie

Last edited:
If its still here on Thursday I will surely donate!

And if anyone else wants to give, this project still needs some funding.

It still needs 435 USD.

That means if 43 members give 10 bucks each, some kids will get some ukuleles!

And with the donor's choice website: we'll get a thank you note from the teacher, and pictures of the kids with their ukes. How neat is that?

I want to give but unfortunately I must take care of my kids first:) maybe afterwards. I really need to contact this website b/c they are getting a better price than I was able to get.

Top Bottom