Best Soprano Ukulele under $200.....

lespaul_79

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my Kala KA-15S from MGM. Happy with it for my 1st uke, but I keep thinking... what's my next uke going to be?

Any good chat threads or thoughts on an AWESOME traditional shaped Soprano Uke under $200 that will last me a long time? I want something that sings and has "bell tones"....

I've heard good things about Mainland, Kala, and Ohana.

(For the mando players out there, I'm looking for a uke with a reputation comparable to the Collings MT Mandolin. Reasonably priced and notoriously AWESOME for it's TONE and VOLUME.)

Thanks UU.
- c

Last edited:
The Kala KS-ASMS, all solid mahogany Soprano, and the KA-AS Solid Koa are both remarkable. At the Moment I have 2 of the Koa beauties, both are bound in Maple, satin finished and $199....I have one of the Mahogany which is bound in tortise and is $179...

I know what you are saying re: the Collings Mt I have one of those instock too as well as a Collings UC-2 gloss Mahogany....a bit more than $200:)
www.okc-music.com

well... you know how it is here on UU. If you don't have pictures... well, we simply don't believe you have one. :D

I recently purchased a Kala solid acacia soprano, and I really enjoy it: good sound and good looks. MGM has them for a little more than your limit - $227.50 - but that includes shipping.

you can buy my perfect condition mainland soprano from me for less than 200.00

o_O

The red cedar looks awesome ! And it sounds really nice :eek: :eek:
Slightly 'metallic' sound though.

'metallic'? Do remember that most YouTube reviews are recorded with the cheesy built-in computer mic, and that Worth strings would have a warmer sound than the Aquilas on the example.

These Pono soprano ukes are usually $400 but MGM is having a blowout sale on them for $160 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOSEOUT-PONO-MAHOGANY-SPRUCETOP-SOPRANO-UKULELE-dlx-cs_W0QQitemZ370264266833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635785851&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides.

Can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow!

:agree:

I was totally going to post a link to this. Since I did all the work of finding it agian. Here it is.

I don't know anything about this uke but it seems like a steal.

These Pono soprano ukes are usually $400 but MGM is having a blowout sale on them for $160 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOSEOUT-PONO-MAHOGANY-SPRUCETOP-SOPRANO-UKULELE-dlx-cs_W0QQitemZ370264266833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635785851&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides.

Can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow!

this is the greatest deal you are going to get atm. I love it when MGM does stuff like this haha, but i just wish I had the cash to buy one myself. This pono has my vote. DO IT! DO IT NOW!!

Thanks for the ebay links, Bongofury. My mom comandeered my pineapple uke last weekend.:p She liked it so much she's gonna learn on it which leaves me with just my charango. I need another uke soon so we can practice together.
Ernest

Haven't played the Pono, seems like a good deal. But I have played Mainland and it is an incredible instrument. It will keep you happy for a long time. Never heard a complaint about Mainland. Can't say the same for Pono.

Well, after reading the article below and a couple more...
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16781&highlight=mainland

... I've decided to keep my Kala beginners uke until $$$ picks up and hold out for a MAINLAND. No Pono for me, even though it seems like a good deal from MGM.

Mainland seems like the COLLINGS of UKES.

Looks like a Mainland Soprano could be the Collings MT of ukes. Affordable, great tone, loud, and solid reputation.

Any thoughts on my ramblings are more than welcome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom