need reason to not buy a PONO PTES-CE.... what are they like

keithy351

Reaction score
seen MGM has some going, f me there dam nice and a great price, whats peoples thoughts, whats the sound like compared to a koa wood uke?

They look beautiful. I recently got a pono mango tenor and love it to pieces. Give in to the UAS :p

That's a beauty! The Ko'olau case and pickup alone have to be worth $150+ making this ebony Pono even a better deal.

This is a heck of a deal from MGM. $500 for a Pono Ebony..... you can't beat that! The two that are on sale are the older models, with the tie bar bridge. Honestly, I would choose that over the pin bridge, because of the issues Pono has had with them.

I say go for it.

Mike at Uke Republic played an ebony tenor over thetphone with a Mainland gloss mahogany concert. The results you ask. The Mainland will be delivered Friday. Sounded so much better to me than the Pono. I know it's apples and oranges, but like I said, the Mainland had a better sound.

every time you buy a ukulele...God kills a kitten?

Last edited:
Mike at Uke Republic played an ebony tenor over thetphone with a Mainland gloss mahogany concert. The results you ask. The Mainland will be delivered Friday. Sounded so much better to me than the Pono. I know it's apples and oranges, but like I said, the Mainland had a better sound.

I think lot of people would rather have an uke that sounds loud instead of an uke that sounds right and nice mellow etc... but i dont really agree; the Mainlands i heard sound loud but cheap somewhat metallic sound and lack the clean and mellow sound of a PONO, but yes, they seem louder.

Last edited:
I think lot of people would rather have an uke that sounds loud instead of an uke that sounds right and nice mellow etc... but i dont really agree; the Mainlands i heard sound loud but cheap somewhat metallic sound and lack the clean and mellow sound of a PONO, but yes, they seem louder.

Interesting observation. I agree that the Mainland Cedar ukes sound louder than others (other wood types that is). I happen to be a fan of the sound of mahogany more than the bright (read loud) sound of cedar. But I think that is more of a function of the wood type than the maker (ok, not in all cases). I have a Pono mahogany, and love it. But I gotta say, while the mainland mahogany may be slightly louder...it's not in a bad way for sure.

Also I am NOT a luthier, but the thickness of the sound board plays a role, and In my opinion (and I may be WAY wrong - I often am) I think the Pono is thicker.......if someone corrects me, I wont be offended.

Funny how different people hear different things.

In an old post (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127150&postcount=16) I noted how heavy and dull the Pono mahogany tenor I tried seemed to me. Even a modest Kala tenor sang out more.

The Mainlands I've heard in vids and sound clips, and the couple I've tried out myself, seemed to have an edge over the one Pono I've played: not just in terms of volume, but also in clarity and musicality of tone.

Diff'rent strokes etc.

Last edited:
A lot of that metallic sound you're hearing from the Mainlands is probably coming from the stock Aquilas.

Seriously, It's rare that people say "I want a nice mellow uke."

A lot of that metallic sound you're hearing from the Mainlands is probably coming from the stock Aquilas.

I believe that. There is so many way more experienced uke addicts on these forums, who think Mainland ukes are very good, it is probably true :D. I would love to try a mainland for real.
My post was only pointing out that people really look for loudness, while it should not be the only criteria.

People seem very divided concerning Pono's ukes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom