Does anyone else have an overwhelming urge

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
to quit your day job and just do this uke thing for the rest of your life? I want to play them, make them, you name it--this day job thing is getting in the way over here!

Last edited:
It seems like all I think about at work is getting home to my ukes!

Daily.

Never had a single thought along those lines in 20 years of playing the guitar, but for some reason sitting on my back porch plunking away on a uke all day is very appealing.

Now if I could find a way to pull down my current salary, I'd be in good shape.

--Mark

to quit your day job and just do this uke thing for the rest of your life? I just want to play them, make them, you name it--this day job thing is just getting in the way over here!

I would do this in an istant except for three things.

1) I suck with woodwork
2) I don't think I sound good.
3) If the first two is true then how can I ever get my Pineapple Sunday?!?

Damn UAS!!!

Even tho. I can't play very well, I have a friend/teacher that we bouth share the same dream.

We would like to someday have are own store frount/music store. He is already a Mele dealer so we would like to handle a compleat line of uks, bluegrass, and folk insterments.
Would like it to be the kind of place thet you could just come in sit down have a cup of coffee, and jam.

Don't really need or care if we made any money just so we broke even, as neather of us really need the money.

I know! It makes me so happy! I never felt that practicing piano or anything else. (actually, nowadays, to get myself to play piano I tell myself that it'll improve my uke :D)

I always make time to play it, even if I'm sick or it means staying up until 1 AM. :)

There's just something so freeing about ukulele that you don't get with other instruments.

Fortunately, I love what I do for work. Im in IT (Computers) and its more like playing than actual work. I do get to bring my uke to work and when its really slow I get to play.. even tho it hasnt been slow for the last few months LOL...

Luckily I have a job that I love and where I can play the uke daily. I think I'd get bored if I wasn't able to work. I haven't worked all week b/c of flooding and I have played uke constantly but I miss the kids.

man, I'm fighting hard to get back into a job...I wish I had the option of quitting as it would mean "having" a job.

went negative this morning...not good:(

Sorry to hear that, dude. I wish I had some advice to give you, other than, it may be time to move to another state. I got a layoff notice 3 months ago, and they've been stringing me along one month at a time ever since. It's getting hard to give a dang about the job, considering those circumstances, and there simply are no other jobs when I look around in the area. The closest I've seen one is in Fort Wayne IN, nearly 2.5 hours away. My wife's working on a degree, so I can't relocate now, anyway.

Hang in there.

Even tho. I can't play very well, I have a friend/teacher that we bouth share the same dream.

We would like to someday have are own store frount/music store. He is already a Mele dealer so we would like to handle a compleat line of uks, bluegrass, and folk insterments.
Would like it to be the kind of place thet you could just come in sit down have a cup of coffee, and jam.

Don't really need or care if we made any money just so we broke even, as neather of us really need the money.

Hey Walt - split the difference between you and me - open up in Sherwood or Newberg or Wilsonville or something - and I'll come work for you on the weekends...

Currently, yes, every single day I want to do just that. But at this moment I am just a lowly waiter at a crappy restaurant.

However, once I become a bartender and work in a decent bar, I will want to be a ukulele playing bartender! It'll never happen.

Currently, yes, every single day I want to do just that. But at this moment I am just a lowly waiter at a crappy restaurant.

However, once I become a bartender and work in a decent bar, I will want to be a ukulele playing bartender! It'll never happen.

At least you have something to aspire to!

I love my job and I love playing my uke. But only the combination of both on every single day makes me go "mmmmmmmmh" :drool:! Of course I´m in the "bring your uke to work"-club.:D

Hey Walt - split the difference between you and me - open up in Sherwood or Newberg or Wilsonville or something - and I'll come work for you on the weekends...

Just in the dreaming stages right now Jon, but you never know. As my wife says things change every day.

Take a look at this site Clicky

I visited this store when I was in Chicago last week. It was a very nice store in a quaint little town. I would love to have one like it.

I know! It makes me so happy! I never felt that practicing piano or anything else. (actually, nowadays, to get myself to play piano I tell myself that it'll improve my uke :D)

I always make time to play it, even if I'm sick or it means staying up until 1 AM. :)

There's just something so freeing about ukulele that you don't get with other instruments.

Isn't that neat? And to think it's taken some of us a long time to finally get into "uke-in".

I will be eternally grateful to my 6th grade teacher, Mrs Wong at Aliiolani Elementary School, Honolulu.

She wanted all of us to learn to sing and play the uke. How forward-thinking!
I'm not sure how many of my former fellow-students still play the uke, but I sure got the bug.

And once anyone learns just a few chords, and practices their chord changing, voila, they're playing the uke, and that never changes for the rest of their lives! What an investment!

Then there's UU! How blessed can we get?:)

Top Bottom