Tenor strings on a soprano

vialde

Reaction score
I'm replacing the stock strings on my new tenor, with Nylguts. I also have a soprano that is in need of new strings. Is there anything wrong with restringing the soprano with the tenor strings? They're Worth's of some type I think...clear.

Thanks

Vialde

Technically there is nothing wrong, but tenor strings are thicker. They may not fit in the grooves on your nut and bridge. Also, the thickness of the strings means tension on your neck will be higher. It is unlikely that this would damage your uke in the long run, but it is certainly possible and will make it slightly harder to play.

The tension is a real problem, as guitar strings on tenor ukes, tenor strings on soprano MAY damage your uke.
I know a guy, who put guitar strings on his (cheap) tenor uke, and the bridge jumped out of the table ... Just a warning

Edit : replace ''saddle'' by ''bridge" correct word

Last edited:
The tension is a real problem, as guitar strings on tenor ukes, tenor strings on soprano MAY damage your uke.
I know a guy, who put guitar strings on his (cheap) tenor uke, and the saddle jumped out of the table ... Just a warning

all depends really. theres going to be a lot of guess and check. the D'addario J71 strings are in essence classical guitar strings. the high G is an extra hard tension high E string, while the CEA strings are hard tension GBE strings, respectively.

that doesnt mean that any classical guitar strings will work though. so you will need to try out different ones. i put tenor strings on my "toy" walmart First Act soprano-ish ukulele and its doing just fine. i have some older used J71 d'addarios on my leolani "toy" soprano (i put up a video of it before, playing "something"). you will pretty much be able to feel if its just too high of a tension. if thats the case, then just find a set with smaller diameter strings that will hit the higher notes with less tension. when you find something you like (look, sound, feel) stick with it for that uke until you get sick of it and wanna try something else (happens to me every three weeks hahaaha)

It may work. I doubt it, but it might.

The smarter thing to do would be just to shell out a few bucks and get a set of the correct strings for the instrument you are wanting to put them on. You will save yourself frustration and perhaps even a broken ukulele (popped bridge or broken neck).

Top Bottom