PDA

View Full Version : Kala equivalent to Lanikai LU-21T?

MrsKryten
09-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

Complete uke noob here and I'm interested in purchasing my first ukulele. My budget is around $100 (give or take a few). I've read and read and read and read up on good beginner ukuleles. I like the idea of concert and tenor ukes, and have decided to go with a tenor. I had narrowed down my purchase to a Lanikai LU-21T (I also considered an Oscar Schmidt OU2T but a few people said to skip them). Then I read how great Kalas were.

Does Kala make something equivalent in quality and price to the LU-21T? Is there a major preference members of this community have for one model over the other? I don't want utter crap, but I'm not planning to hit the pro circuit tour either.

What say ye, fine uke folk?

buddhuu
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I guess that'd probably be something like the Kala KA-T.

Kala also do their budget Makala range which includes tenor. IMHO it is worth the extra to get a real Kala - even if it's a laminate one.

Kala ukes are great value - but then so are Lanikai. In fact, Kala and Lanikai players here are a pretty satisfied bunch in general. You'll probably be fine whichever you go for. :)

EDIT: I play a Kala tenor and I'm very happy with it.

the.ronin
09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Didnít the dude that started Kala used to work for Lanikai?

buddhuu
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeh, I believe so.

Oh, and @ MrsKryten: Apologies, I meant to add - welcome to UU! :)

flyingace
09-23-2009, 10:18 AM

EDIT: I play a Kala tenor and I'm very happy with it.

I do too, love mine. but I will say that the two oscar schmidts I've had are really nice, they just need some fret, saddle, nut and string work...but then, I do that on all instruments I buy (except taylor!)

cornfedgroove
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I own a lanikai ck-teq...I dont know where it falls in the lanikai production range, but I like it. I'd still like to own a Kala, but probably due to UAS more than anything...maybe go low g or something.

I havent researched ukes, much but I will tell you that I am a bit saddened when i realize that I could have gotten a beautifully flamed uke for same price. the lanikai curly koa is, my guess, barely koa...and barely flamed.

MrsKryten
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I ended up ordering a Lanikai S-TEQ (I was made an offer I couldn't refuse!). It arrives this Friday. I can't wait!