PDA

View Full Version : Free gift for Beginners

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Newly Corrected and Updated, 3/5/2010

Sorry, I don't know how to "revive" an older thread, so here's a link to
a FREE Booklet for Beginners, and others who want to get one.

http://www.4shared.com/file/123858410/4f4615dc/Free_Songbook_Master.html

NOTE: correction for chording for I've Been Working on the RailRoad - instead of Bbdim (0101)
use Bdim (1212).

For more Free stuff, just click on my "email" address next to my profile picture, to access MP3s, song files, etc.

Enjoy, like...:spam:

Playscool39
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
That's great,thanks for sharing!

itsme
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry, I don't know how to "revive" an older thread...
That's easy! All you gotta do is make a new post in an older thread and it will be "bumped" up. :)

bt93
09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks...its even useful for non beginners too:)

CountryMouse
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I don't know how to "revive" an older thread, so here's a link to
a FREE Booklet for Beginners, and others who want to get one.

http://www.4shared.com/file/123858410/4f4615dc/Free_Songbook_Master.html

For more Free stuff, just click on my "email" address next to my profile picture, to access MP3s, song files, etc.

Enjoy, like...:spam:

Thanks so much!

I have a silly question: it's showing four pages at a go--how do I print this out, full-size pages, one at a time?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

ogikloavailable
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
it's so helpful

glittster
09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Yay free stuff!

Thanks!!!!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just printed out a copy and it printed one page at a time.

It is a "master" designed to print out a "booklet" style product.

I suppose it depends on what application you use to open and print it out. If it comes out 2 pages (or 4pages) per page, you may have to cut them apart and photo enlarge
them individually, (maybe 125%?) to get a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet per page.

NOTE: If you click on the email address next to my profile picture it will send you to a site from which you may select the "Disposable" method, which is the same thing. It may print out one page at a time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope the content wil be worth the effort.

Mahalo,

ukulele2544
09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Awesome! thanks for sharing! :D

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
That's easy! All you gotta do is make a new post in an older thread and it will be "bumped" up. :)

Duh! Thanks! :o

CountryMouse
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just printed out a copy and it printed one page at a time.

It is a "master" designed to print out a "booklet" style product.

I suppose it depends on what application you use to open and print it out. If it comes out 2 pages (or 4pages) per page, you may have to cut them apart and photo enlarge
them individually, (maybe 125%?) to get a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet per page.

NOTE: If you click on the email address next to my profile picture it will send you to a site from which you may select the "Disposable" method, which is the same thing. It may print out one page at a time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope the content wil be worth the effort.

Mahalo,

Dear Uncle Rod,

How silly of me!! It looks like four sheets to a page in Microsoft Office Word 2007; but when I printed it out, it printed out just fine, one page at a time.

Thank you so much for this! I need to practice making smooth transitions from one chord to the next. I may have jumped too far in advance, into doing songs, but not mastering chord changes.

CountryMouse

retrozombi
09-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey, thanks! That's pretty cool. :)

brickerenator
09-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Many many thanks!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Dear Uncle Rod,

Thank you so much for this! I need to practice making smooth transitions from one chord to the next. I may have jumped too far in advance, into doing songs, but not mastering chord changes.

CountryMouse

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope others will see that playing the uke is really a matter of learning chords and practicing chord changing. After that, after you have a few chords in your mental treasury to where you can do them unconsciously, it's relatively easy to learn to play songs.

Please pass along your personal experience to those who may be impatient to start learning songs without first working on the mechanical basics.

Keep uke-in' :p

CountryMouse
09-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

I hope others will see that playing the uke is really a matter of learning chords and practicing chord changing. After that, after you have a few chords in your mental treasury to where you can do them unconsciously, it's relatively easy to learn to play songs.

Please pass along your personal experience to those who may be impatient to start learning songs without first working on the mechanical basics.

Keep uke-in' :p

I found one reason I am having trouble with chord changes: I still have not found a comfortable way to hold my soprano uke. I may cave and get a strap button installed. I have tried a homemade strap and a uke "thong". The ukulele is still wiggling around, so that I feel I have to support it with my left hand, which makes chord changes clumsy.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

UkuleleHill
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

snowy_zoe
09-27-2009, 01:42 AM
thanks for the link,

I must remember to abuse my work printer priviliges first thing on Monday morning:D

zoe

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-28-2009, 10:04 AM
OK, it's Monday, how did it go?

I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to pass around copies for the benefit of your ukulele-playing friends, if you think it's beneficial.

Draines5
09-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks!!!! Free is a GREAT price!

snowy_zoe
10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
got it, thanks
Very helpful, I appreciate it, I will practice my nasel Bob Dylan voice for blowin in the wind:D

Cheers
Zoe

snowy_zoe
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
hey uncle Rod

Just wanted to update you since I've tried your learing technique in the booklet, I found it helpful and since reading it I now write down all the chirds of any new songs I;m trying to learn on a seperate sheet so I can wowrk on the chord changes before I have to worry about how fast the changes are or thinking to much about the tune. It's good because once the chords changes get faster the rest falls into place.
The only instance that it caused any problems were songs with a few chord changes in a line as it then increses the length of the song by quite a bit, took me ages to get through the chorus of halleljuh byleonard cohen and there is only four words in it.lol:)

Just thought I'd give you some feed back

thanks again

zoe

BedroomUke
10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Thank you very much for sharing this Uncle Rod!!:)

snowy_zoe
10-05-2009, 11:26 AM
by the way I can usually spell better than i did in that last post:o

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
hey uncle Rod

Just wanted to update you since I've tried your learing technique in the booklet, I found it helpful and since reading it I now write down all the chirds of any new songs I;m trying to learn on a seperate sheet so I can wowrk on the chord changes before I have to worry about how fast the changes are or thinking to much about the tune. It's good because once the chords changes get faster the rest falls into place.
The only instance that it caused any problems were songs with a few chord changes in a line as it then increses the length of the song by quite a bit, took me ages to get through the chorus of halleljuh byleonard cohen and there is only four words in it.lol:)

Just thought I'd give you some feed back

thanks again

zoe

Thank you so much for the feedback! :)

What a model "student". That's exactly it.

the design for those interminably long sections is to make sure you know the chords and can do the chord-changing at a uniform pace. As you know, when you start playing the song, some chord changes come pretty quickly and some with only 1 strum per chord!

I generally call my method, besides "disposable", "Boot Camp"! It is designed to be drudgery... but only for a relatively short time (your first 10-15 songs in various keys).

Your feedback truly warmed my heart. I definitely believe that if more ukulele players would follow this method, especially if they still have some chord and chord-changing difficulties, they will overcome many of the obstacles that tend to hold them back from truly enjoying their ukulele playing.

It's like watching a piano player who has done all the hard work and can easily flow with the music, vs one who is still bogged down with looking at the music and their hands.

Thanks again, and keep uke-in... as if I could stop you!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Many of you have been downloading the Free Booklet, and that's GREAT!

I hope it's clear enough to be helpful to you.

Please feel free to check out my other folders at 4shared.com.

Keep uke-in',

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Many of you are downloading my free "Gift".

Please check out the other folders to find MP3's and song files.

Ronnie Aloha
12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I found one reason I am having trouble with chord changes: I still have not found a comfortable way to hold my soprano uke. I may cave and get a strap button installed. I have tried a homemade strap and a uke "thong". The ukulele is still wiggling around, so that I feel I have to support it with my left hand, which makes chord changes clumsy.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

You could play like I do 80% of the time...lying on my back with the uke laid across my chest as I watch TV! No problems with slippage!

CountryMouse
12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
You could play like I do 80% of the time...lying on my back with the uke laid across my chest as I watch TV! No problems with slippage!

Um, speak for yourself, male-type ukulele player! :D Well, I guess I could lay it across my stomach... :p

I gave in and have strap buttons installed in 2 of my 3 ukuleles--the other one will get one soon. I use a little leather mandolin strap on each.

CountryMouse

RevWill
12-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I gave away some "disposable method" pages to all of my new uke students in the uke ministry. I love it. Awesome stuff!

Thanks Uncle Rod

franulele
12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the songbook!

I have an afterschool ukulele class of elementary teachers & I know they will enjoy the songs & approach.

Mahalo!

Fran

pdxuke
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Uncle Rod, thanks for your book, I love it!

Question: you notate a chord called G+. Would you explain that?

Thom

thisnthat
12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Um, speak for yourself, male-type ukulele player! :D Well, I guess I could lay it across my stomach... :p
Lol, yes I read a guide somewhere on how to hold the Ukulele against the crook of your arm with the uke across your chest. Only a couple of problems with that. ;)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
That would be 0332. Right now I often substitute G7+5 (0312) for the G Augmented(+) chord.

I like Augmented chords as lead-ins to the next line (progression of chords).

I'm also partial to Diminished chords, as in C - Cdim (2323) - Dm7 - G7, or C - Gdim (0101) - Dm7 - G7.

I'm obviously keen on "m7" chords as well. I feel they soften the "harder" Major chord,
Dm7 in place of F.

Sic_Rob
02-11-2010, 03:00 AM
I wasn't able to open this from the office. can't wait to get home and try then. thanks in advance.

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Aloha Uncle Rod! Thanks for the FREE Booklet. I am still learning my chords and I found it to be help. I been playing the "ukulele for a year now. Thanks again.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

By the way, you have a very good ukulele player in Ewa Beach,
Al Canopin!

Keep uke-in'.

I hope to be back in July and August for the 40th Annual Ukulele Festival.

Maybe we'll meet sometime.