This Boy - Guitalele solo

WS64

Reaction score
6 strings this time, not 4.
I think the Yamaha Guitalele is not available in USA, and you guys over there miss something!
It's a cheap instrument (65€, about US$100), and worth way more.

I play another Beatles song, the b-side of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", here's
This Boy

Last edited:
Never heard that song before, man. It sounds great. That guitalele has a gorgeous sound. Have you seen thatguyweheard on YouTube? He plays one too.

Never heard that song before, man. It sounds great. That guitalele has a gorgeous sound. Have you seen thatguyweheard on YouTube? He plays one too.

I liked this song, and I love that guy, too. He's got a nice voice and a nice guitalele. Where would I go to buy one?

I liked this song, and I love that guy, too. He's got a nice voice and a nice guitalele. Where would I go to buy one?

Every once in a while they show up on ebay. Other than that you'll have to order it from overseas or Canada. I seem to remember reading a thread on this board, where one member ordered a guitalele from Canada, and they included on the information about how to do it.

I believe Daniel Ho plays something similar. As the photo shows, it's custom made by Koaloha. They also have a standard model, D-VI 6 String.

Daniel_DVI_017.jpg

My dad has this record. Nice cover bro.

What is the difference between a Guitalele and a 6 string Ukulele?

The Guitalele has 6 independent strings, like a guitar. It is tuned like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

I think the Yamaha Guitalele is not available in USA, and you guys over there miss something!

IMG_0417.jpg

As mentioned by SA1, you can order them from Canada. Instructions can be found in my blog at this post.

Estimated cost would be about $115 to $125 depending on where they need to ship and what the current exchange rate is. Remember to always inform them that you are outside of Canada and to waive the sales tax.

Last edited:
A 6-string uke has 2 strings in octave unison. Not like a guitars 6 individual notes. I think the 6-string uke is strung G, Cc, E, Aa (one C and one A an octave higher than its counterpart.)

BTW, you can get the equivalent of a Guitalele with steel strings in the USA. Tacoma Papoose:
www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tacoma-Papoose-P1-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512370&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

There are other brands, too.

ha cool those are made in my city. Are these usually this expensive?

Tacoma was recently acquired by Fender, but are a well-regarded, small-scale manufacturer. (Fender bought Guild as well.)

Yea, they're not cheap but are considered nice instruments.

BTW, you can get the equivalent of a Guitalele with steel strings in the USA. Tacoma Papoose:
www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tacoma-Papoose-P1-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512370&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

There are other brands, too.
Technically, the Papoose is a variant of the requinto. A nylon-string version of the Papoose was once manufactured.

rp1.jpg

Requintos are easily found here in the US; anywhere that mariachi is popular. These instruments also use nylon strings but they are larger than a Guitalele. The fifth player in the photo has a requinto.

The Guitalele has 6 independent strings, like a guitar. It is tuned like a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

Do you mean that if you capo the 5th fret it is tuned like a guitar. So without the capo it's tuned - what? I can't transpose in my head this early in the morning!:eek:

Do you mean that if you capo the 5th fret it is tuned like a guitar. So without the capo it's tuned - what? I can't transpose in my head this early in the morning!:eek:

Without the capo the guitar is tuned like a guitar! ;)

Top Bottom