You paid how much?

Honu

Reaction score
Something funny happend today and I thought I can share it with you guys to celebrate my 100th post. ( I know it's not that big of an accomplishment but man it took me a while).

I have been bringing my Pineapple KoAloha to work the last couple of days to play during my breaks One of my students who I know plays the Uke saw my Uke and started asking questions about it. When he asked me how much it was I told him that it was around $400. He had a shocked look on his face and he asked me "You paid how much!?! He asked me if I thought it was worth all that money. I gave him the Uke so he could play it for a little bit. He gave it back to me and said, "oh..." :p

I thought the same thing the first time I was in a music store that sold ukuleles.

Anything that went over $200 I was like...whah?!!!

Luckily, I picked up my Kala..used....with gig bag, tuner and strings for $150. I was meant to have it.

Now I know why some of them run so high. It's almost like they are real instruments. :p

I remember visiting the Mele store when I lived on Maui and I had the same reaction. i was thinking I can get a baby taylor for this price. Then i moved back to Georgia and after buying my first quality (mele) uke three years ago I have been spoiled. My students are always surprised at the price of some of my ukes.

I remember when I bought a handmade guitar for over $2K (hey, it was used but in like-new condition, this luthier's current offerings were going for over twice that, so I think I got a real bargain).

People at work thought I was nuts, especially since I was driving a POS car worth maybe $500. It's all about priorities. I would rather have an instrument that gives me unlimited hours of enjoyment and drive a modest car that suits my needs.

I remember when I bought a handmade guitar for over $2K (hey, it was used but in like-new condition, this luthier's current offerings were going for over twice that, so I think I got a real bargain).

People at work thought I was nuts, especially since I was driving a POS car worth maybe $500. It's all about priorities. I would rather have an instrument that gives me unlimited hours of enjoyment and drive a modest car that suits my needs.

Same, I put in around $1100 on my new uke and all my friends think I have completely lost it. Then again, I am "in a relationship" with her on Facebook and am going to be spending over $400 on the case for her... Did I mention I consider my ukulele a her and value her over most of my friends?

Same, I put in around $1100 on my new uke and all my friends think I have completely lost it. Then again, I am "in a relationship" with her on Facebook and am going to be spending over $400 on the case for her... Did I mention I consider my ukulele a her and value her over most of my friends?

You're having a relationship with your uke on Facebook?
bush-dumb-look-scratching-head.jpg

Im still a newbie to the uke, but I cant over how inexpensive good ukes are. I keep seeing stuff that I don't need, but am tempted to buy, simply because of the relatively low cost. I am saying this because it is a good thing for the player.

On the question of of construction compared to a guitar, I have had two lutheirs that build both tell me that there really isn't any significant difference. Gluing the top on a uke might be a little trickier, but the lower tension allows for lighter bracing on ukes, so the time difference is probably a wash. Everything else on a guitar would take longer in proportion to its size and there are certainly more materials. Its hard to compare random guitars to random ukes, but using a builder like Collings who makes both, ukes appear to be roughly 1/3 the cost of comparable guitars (thinking similar woods and appointments).

I don't restrict myself to only one relationship with my ukuleles. Being exclusive is just not for me.

Some call me shallow and a failure at relationships for this, but I still stand by the statement, "the more the merrier".

Besides, why limit yourself to just one chocolate when there is a box of assorted ones waiting for you.

;)

When I first considered buying a uke, I was looking on Musicians Friend thinking I would spend around $40 and that would be it. After a ton of research I ended up spending $180 on a fluke (at the time that seemed like a LOT of money). Now after buying 8 ukuleles (another one today), I would spend $800 on the right uke in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, OCD + UAS = BROKE-AS :eek:

I don't restrict myself to only one relationship with my ukuleles. Being exclusive is just not for me.

Some call me shallow and a failure at relationships for this, but I still stand by the statement, "the more the merrier".

Besides, why limit yourself to just one chocolate when there is a box of assorted ones waiting for you.

;)

You, sir, have just earned yourself some brand new reputation points.

And as for me, I only have one uke at the moment, my special one is still being made, and I hate my current one, so I am ukulele monogamous... for now!

I think that $1200 is a great price for a Pineapple Sunday but I don't even have that much in my bank account right now. 'Nuff said.

You, sir, have just earned yourself some brand new reputation points.

And as for me, I only have one uke at the moment, my special one is still being made, and I hate my current one, so I am ukulele monogamous... for now!

ooh? Being made?

By whom?

/thread jack

By Mr. Pete Howlett of course. He is working on my tenor uklectic now! The excitement has made me lose many hours of sleep... I am not joking.

Oh, I know....

I KNOW! Haha, I won't be able to sleep tonight because of a mail order from Hawaii scheduled for tomorrow....

But that is for a different thread.... ;)

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

When I have performed I've been asked how much my uke is. (I usually perform with either my Kamaka Concert Deluxe or Kanile'a Custom T) I don't like to tell them the prices, but when I do they can't believe it. Every once in a while though, you get someone who knows what to expect for that and say, "Wow, what a helluva deal you got."

Some people don't realize the craftsmanship that goes into these instruments and that is OK.

Top Bottom