Song writing Process

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my song writing process and maybe get input from others who write songs. I'm not an expert songwriter like Danyo Cummings but I've developed a method that works for me.

First off, I never sit down and try to write a song. Usually if I ever can finish a song, I'm just goofing around on the guitar and a melody pops into my head that fits whatever chord pattern I'm playing.

If I think it's catchy or memorable, I think hard to make sure I'ts not the melody line of some other famous song (usually it is). If it is, I try to tweak it enough where its different, but still has that same "catchyness" factor.

Usually when the melody comes into my head, it comes in the form of a first line. Usually the first line of the first verse, but sometimes it's the chorus. The 2 strongest parts in your song has to be that first line, and the hook in the chorus. It's a little harder for me cause I'm not that great of a singer, so I need to write simple but memorable melody lines that I can handle with my limited range.

Sometimes when the chords and melody come, they're in the wrong key for me so I spend the time to find the key thats comfortable for me to sing in.

With the chords for whats presumably the verse and the first line of the song, I then try to fill out the rest of the song. With the melody line in my head, I write out lines that I think will fit with the song. After each line I try singing it and tweak it to make them fit.

Before the chorus, it's important to have escalators to get the listener pumped for the chorus. This can be done with a chord change that ends on a hanging 5th. The 5th begs for the main chord to come back and thats where you can hit it with the hook. If you listen to a lot of songs, right before the chorus, you'll notice things start to get louder or more filled. more instruments will be playing. Song writers do this so that the listener will subconsciously be pumped for the chorus and hook.

The Chorus and the hook is next and that is usually where I'm not that good. It's way easier to write hooks if you can actually sing. Writing a memorable hook that someone with no range is TOUGH. In the chorus, you need to change it up and make it sound memorable and different from the verses. A lot of beginning songwriters keep their choruses too similar to the verses. Change it up! Change chords if you have to. The chorus should sound distinctly different from the verses. The hook is the line that gets stuck in your head or that you find yourself humming. It's the proverbial "Money Shot" of the song. Most of the time, but not always its the first line of the chorus. Work on perfecting that hook.

After I figure out the chorus, I work on the 2nd verse in the same way I worked on the first. Then the bridge if necessary.

It also helps in songwriting to build your internal rhyming dictionary. Easy way to do this is to train yourself by saying a word, then trying to say all the rhyming words you can in 10 seconds.

Hope this helps! I'd like to hear other song writers writing process as well.

Last edited:
First off, I never sit down and try to write a song. Usually if I ever can finish a song, I'm just goofing around on the guitar and a melody pops into my head that fits whatever chord pattern I'm playing.

If I think it's catchy or memorable, I think hard to make sure I'ts not the melody line of some other famous song (usually it is). If it is, I try to tweak it enough where its different, but still has that same "catchyness" factor.
Hope this helps! I'd like to hear other song writers writing process as well.

Wow, I've written a couple of songs for the piano and my experience is exactly what you describe. I'm not able to just sit and compose, but rather it just comes to me while playing around with chords progressions. Usually I start off playing the same chord a few times, then add a IV or V chord then a minor VI, then just kind of fuss around after that. I wish I knew more theory about song writing to know what chords sound good together.

One time a melody came to be while I was out for a walk on Valentine's Day. I managed to figure out the rest of it before my wife came home and now she thinks that i can just whip up a song any time... I wish! That was over a year ago and I haven't written anything since. :(

Thanks for the tips regarding the hook and the escalators. Just reading your posting is inspiring me to write more.

Well.. i really want to write a song...and I have ideas an all but...but I think my lyrics are sooooo darn cheesy...and i feel embarrassed about it...any suggestions???

Well.. i really want to write a song...and I have ideas an all but...but I think my lyrics are sooooo darn cheesy...and i feel embarrassed about it...any suggestions???

It's okay to have cheesy lyrics, especially in your first songs. There are lots of good songs with cheesy lyrics. However, that's the problem, there are too many songs that use the same lyrics.

After you've written a few songs with cheesy lyrics, if you write something that you've heard in a song before, get rid of it. Try saying it in a different way.

A really good way to get rid of cheesy lyrics is to put physical, concrete objects in your songs.

For example, instead of saying something like, "I'm so blue," you could say, "Even my jeans are blue."

The goal here is specificity. What is unique to you? What only exists in your world? How do you see the world around you?

This is how you start finding your voice as a songwriter.

It's okay to have cheesy lyrics, especially in your first songs. There are lots of good songs with cheesy lyrics. However, that's the problem, there are too many songs that use the same lyrics.

After you've written a few songs with cheesy lyrics, if you write something that you've heard in a song before, get rid of it. Try saying it in a different way.

A really good way to get rid of cheesy lyrics is to put physical, concrete objects in your songs.

For example, instead of saying something like, "I'm so blue," you could say, "Even my jeans are blue."

The goal here is specificity. What is unique to you? What only exists in your world? How do you see the world around you?

This is how you start finding your voice as a songwriter.

THANKS SEESO!!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!

I wrote my first song on the guitar when I was 13... and my latest on the uke last month. In between there have been too many to count. I've always felt like I didn't really write the songs... rather that they're floating in the air around me, and I just have to pick them out... if that makes sense to anyone but me. I've heard a lot of authors & other writers speak similarily, like you're just doing the recording for the great cosmic force around us. Still reading? I know I sound like a silly hippie...

For me, the music comes first. It all starts with 2 chords; back & forth, back & forth. What comes next? Ah, that's it! Add chord 3 (and so on). Once I've got the music down, I start singing "la's" along with it, to establish what notes will be sung & also the number of syllables needed for each line. I write down on a piece of paper the syllable count for each line... I use the left margin & have a list going down it... 7, 7, 9, 13... whatever. Now it's time to tackle the actual words.

I never have an idea of what a song will be about until I start to write the lyrics, after I've finished the music. The rhythm & tone of the music dictates what the song will be about, for me. If you go into it with too clear of an idea, I think it's a lot tougher to write. Weren't assigned essays always harder than free topic ones? I don't do what rayan does- going about it one verse at a time... I write my songs more like a crossword puzzle. I play it through, singing la la la, & begin singing random lines at different points as they pop into my head. I often will (for example) write the 3rd line of each verse before anything else... let's say the verses go 7, 7, 9, 13 (like I just said a minute ago ;)). So maybe I'll go through & write all the 9 syllable lines first- because maybe that part of the song has a particular upbeat to it, a note or melody that's sung a certain way & that requires a certain kind of word. It's all about syllables- not just the total number of them in the line, but where they fall. You have a space for 4 syllables- but that doesn't mean you can use a 4 syllable word. Maybe the way it flows & where the breath space is you need a 1 & a 3, or 2 & 2. That's why I often write line 3 (or whatever) of each verse first... because there's a spot where I need a certain length word & I start thinking of a whole bunch. Why decide which line is best? Write em all down & now yr 1/4 of the way done writing each verse!

If you try to hard, if you force yourself to write- it'll never work, and if it does, it will most likely sound forced & be full of those dreaded cheesy lines that were mentioned in earlier posts. Take days- take weeks, months if you have to. Is there a deadline you're trying to meet? Okay then, take yr time!But, one good thing about music (is when it hits you feel no pain, but also-) is that you can have a "cheesy" line in there now & again & get away with it if you sing it the right way. You can change the meaning of something, or make something sound waaaay deeper than it is by giving your voice the right inflection. Ever read the lyrics to one of your favorite songs & realized that if you had done that before you heard it, you probably wouldn't have bothered to listen to it? The words don't look nearly as impressive on paper- not as moving or enlightening as when you hear them sung. It's not always what you say, but how you say it.

Oh my! I could keep rambling... I've barely gotten started lol. However, I just looked at how long this was. I'll be quiet now. Move along... nothing to see here...

I dont write songs, but I am a writer and I think we all feel a little nervous or embarrassed about sharing our work at first. I suspect that if you start sharing it with others, you will start to become more comfortable with your work and you wont feel like its so cheesy.

I suspect that if you start sharing it with others, you will start to become more comfortable with your work and you wont feel like its so cheesy.

I agree. You never really know what will appeal to someone else, and for what reasons. Something you wrote & view as cheesy may be thought brilliant by someone else, and vice versa. The song I'm the most proud of that I've written, the one I'm actually happy & proud of the lyrics on- is not at all one of my better received songs. In fact, the ones that I've spent way less time & effort on seem to go over better. Back to that forced writing thing... first thought is best thought, so says Jack Kerouac.

Also... a great online resource that I use quite a bit is rhymezone.com. Not only does it provide you with a ton of rhymes for any given word, it groups them by syllable- and I think I made it clear in my earlier post how important I think those are ;) I often get way off on tangents with this site.... I think I want a rhyme for the word "free"- so then "tree" comes up... but not just "tree"- "dogwood tree" & "joshua tree" & "black cherry tree"... plus a million other kinds- all of which stir different images & can make what you're writing go in a totally different direction.

first thought is best thought, so says Jack Kerouac.QUOTE]

Kerouac also thought the "next drink is the best drink" and died of complications from liver cirrhosis... not that you're wrong, but I thought it was funny to mention...

The way I write songs is to write down words that I wan't to use in the song. Then I write some rimes to the words. For example: if one of the words I wrote down is "way" there's alot of words that rimes, like away, say, lay and alot more. If you have trouble finging words just write down things that your friends and family understand. If your girlfriendleft you you can write something like: "Nothing is the same since you left me, when you were here I felt so free".

When you got some good lyrics and a good melody it's time for the chords. Chose some chords that fits the lyrics so you're not singing: "My heart is bleeding in pain" with an extremly happy melody. Remeber, the doesn't need to sound like the melody.

If you have trouble finding chords that fits together you can go to a site with songs and chords. You don't need to steal the whole song chords but it's a good way finding chords that will fit together.

I don't know if this helped you anything but it's atleast how I do it :)

Okay, a couple people sent me comments asking me to elaborate even more if I could... which I found amazing cause I thought both my posts to be fairly incoherent ;) but here I go anyway... 2 more things I thought to add:

The first is: finish what you start. Even if halfway through writing a song, you decide it sucks... finish it. You don't get better at anything unless you practice- songwriting included. So you're first song kinda sucks... oh well. At least you completed it- proved to yourself you could do it... and now each one will (hopefully) be easier & easier to write, as you get more comfortable with it & find your individual voice. But you'll never ever be a songwriter, unless you finish that first song. I personally have written many songs that I can't stand & that will never see the light of YouTube, or anywhere else for that matter except my living room when no one else is home. But I can't move on to the next one until the last is done- and each time I write a sucky song I learn something new, I get a little bit better.

The other thing I really recommend is: write everything down. When you're at work, when you're driving- no matter where you are... write down every idea you have. Now, an idea doesn't have to be a complete line for a song- it can be just a word that caught your ear for whatever reason; a specific word you wanna use in a song- or just one that brings certain feelings, thoughts, visions into your mind that are the sorts of things you'd like a song to be about.

Something else I do that I don't believe is too common but helps me quite a bit is that I write down other people lines a lot too.... if I hear a song & a certain phrase grabs me & I think "Wow, what a brilliant line!" I'll write it down & later on maybe a song of my own will be inspired by it. I have a song called '6am Roadside Cathedral' that was entirely based on one line from a song by The Avett Brothers.

And then when you sit down to write the actual song- write down all the ideas you don't use, too- all the one's that get cut for the final version or ones that just cross your mind but don't seem to fit. Get yourself a brand spanking new notebook for songwriting, and keep all those pages of scribblings & jotted down notes. You may end up recycling lines, or come up with new ones while flipping through it the next time you find yourself stuck.

This is a pretty cool thread! Im always fascinated with the writing process of different people!

When i write music, i do it a lot differently it seems. Since im the worst lyricist, i just stick to the music.

What i do is, usually, ill just be messin around with my guitar or bass, and ill come up with a cool sounding melody, or line, or phrase, or something, really small and simple. Then ill be like "well, that sounds pretty cool!" I then approach writing and elaborating pretty...well, in a sense, scientifically, haha. I just look at what i have, and what doors are open from that. Its basically, i started on a path with this melody/phrase/sometimes even just a chord progression, and as i continue down the path, or hallway rather, i pass some doors, and go through others. Im not sure if that really makes sense to anyone or not.

My knowledge of theory is somewhat limited, so a lot of the doors i pass, or want to go through are locked at the moment. Because im not a music major, i cant take any real music classes at my school, its kinda friggen retarded. I really want to take as many theory classes as i can, or at least get some insight to different harmonization techniques. Im pretty much just stuck to writing completely modal music! AHH! It gets boring/frustrating after a while. Especially when you start looking at all this music from so many different composers, and its just like "hmmm, i wonder what they were thinking when they chose to use this chord here with that part of the melody on top. that transition is simply genius, what was going through their mind to allow them to just do that?!?" Heh

ramble, ramble, ramble :p

Top Bottom