Who likes Pono Ukes?

lespaul_79

Reaction score
Just curious what your thoughts and experiences have been with them. Espcially sopranos.
Good volume and tone?
Any issues?
Pono vs. Kala?
Pono vs. Mainland?

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Might wanna take a look at this, this guy goes over some of the features on pono's, yeah that's about all i know. Oh and they sound extremely beautiful and are probably some of the nicest imports around, though they are on the thick side when it comes to the body

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI

Last edited:
If your looking at pono then u should check out www.meleukulele.com much better uke and I own both. Also check out the mainland ukes.
Pono's sopranos are good but it depends on wood. I own a mango tenor 8 string and at first I didn't like it but it has grown on me this week.
What are you specifically looking for?

I like mine fine (solid koa) but it's quiet, seems to be due to the thickness of the finish. However the build is very high quality and the sound is lovely. It just doesn't have a ton of volume, unless you want to put a pick to it, or a pickup ON it. But it is a nice fingerpicker, and will do until I can get a Kanilea.

The ebony cutaway spruce tops MGM has are a steal. I wanted that uke but not in the cutaway.

Volume is an issue. I like to play with other acoustic musicians. I have a Collings MT mandolin that is loudddd. I like that b/c I have a soft touch.

However, I'm open to fingerpicking and using a thumb pick for volume.

But it really is not that loud....?

My Pono is a PKT-1E.
I like it - it is nice uke very easy to play and really beautifull, although I think my Kala Acacia Tenor and especially my Makapili Hinoki Top Tenor sound better.

i have a Pono PKC-E laminate that really ain't all that bad. i also had a Pono Ohai concert that was very disappointing volume-wise. i've played some of the Pono solid mahogany and mango series and they are very nice ukes.

you should check out the Mainland ukes. i've yet to hear something bad about them.

But it really is not that loud....?

Lespaul, I am inexperienced on the uke, but I recently tried two Pono tenors (mahogany and ohai), and I also own a Collings MT for volume comparison. To me there was no question that the Ponos I tried did not project as well as the Kamaka tenor I have, but they certainly sound good and had a nice fit and finish. I don't know what strings they had or that would have even made a difference. Going from memory, I think the ohai had the least volume, and I liked the punch the mahogany one had.

To tie that all in with the MT, I would say that my Kamaka is not quite as loud as the mandolin at a similar playing level, but it easily has the ability to be loud enough as long as the mandolin isn't being driven to the top. When playing the Pono's, I didn't think to myself that they would be too quiet or soft sounding.

I'm looking into getting the same uke haha. Some crazy deals on them recently b/c they're clearing stock on them and releasing some high priced 'vintage style' sopranos.

I've got a pono mango tenor and love it. It booms in volume with the stock ko'olau gold strings and I'm sure it will belt it out when i swap over to worth browns when these ones die out on me.

I've heard that pono sopranos in D-tuning are superb sounding :eek:

I played a beautiful Pono Tenor last night and the projection seemed pretty good to me. I would go to a local music store if available and try them out if at all possible. As far as the Mele goes I know some people really dig them, I have a Koa top Tenor and soundwise it is nice, a bit more plinky than my other tenors. But the finish has to be the thinnest and most delicate finish ever, you look at it wrong and it will scratch, also I just noticed a small crack in mine (about 9 months old) in a weird spot, I'm going to contact them and see what they say, but I live in washington state and keep her in a case fully humidifed, I even have the digital gague to make sure it 's at the right RH. IMHO I would save a bit more for something like a factory second Koaloha (I just got a tenor and it is just awesome) Or wait for a good deal on a used uke. But thats me.

Sark

Pono

Pono mahogany, spruce top , Got one coming ups today. Got it from MGM and it was a great price. Let you know how I like it when it comes.
I will say that it is the first time buying from MGM and his customer service is great.
Lefty Dan

Most of what I've heard regarding Pono sopranos has not been all that favorable. I've heard "sounds like a pillow was stuffed in it" from more than one person. I have played a couple a long while ago and don't remember being impressed. Here's a post by UU member Lanark about his PKS2-E: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8429&highlight=pono

His thoughts are at post #23 & 25 in the thread.

I think they are made in "China" now........Used to be made in Hawaii. I would be little concerned about craftmanship, otherwise I've seen some beauties.

Not to open up a can of worms on tonewoods again, but the reviewed PKS2-E is a koa uke and the PPS is spruce/mahogany.

On the tonewood wikipedia page it mentions that koa is by nature a quieter wood than spruce. I'm not sure how much of a difference as I've never owned a spruce uke. I have a small-bodied spruce top guitar that seems to always cut through when played with other instruments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonewood

lespaul, just trying to make your decision even harder! :)

My pono spruce/mahogany will be arriving today so I will let you know what I think of the volume.

I think they are made in "China" now........Used to be made in Hawaii. I would be little concerned about craftmanship, otherwise I've seen some beauties.

The Pono line ukes are made on Java. The Ko'olau brand is made in Hawai'i.
I spoke with mike at ukerepublic about the sound issues and apparently the first few batches of the ohai wood and some of the other Ponos had a thicker top which lead to a dampened sound. I own a Pono mango 8 string tenor and at first it was pretty quiet but this last week it has really opened up. Not sure if this has to do with my strumming method or not. It is a great sounding uke just not real loud. I was thinking about getting one of the mahaghany and spruce or rosewood and spruce tops but decided to go with the sceptre instead. I have played ore than a few of these Ponos from ukerepublics inventory and they sounded better than my mango. If I had more money I'd get one.

Top Bottom