Need advice getting around NYC

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Hey peeps, I need some input getting around NYC. If we stay in Manhattan, how long to get to Newark and to JFK? I was looking on google maps and it says stuff like 40 minutes OR 2 hours with traffic. bazuh???? is it that bad?

How is catching the taxi there?

I believe the subway to/from JFK wasn't all that bad, about 40 minutes but at least you know you will arrive in time. Too much stuff to carry perhaps?

I live in North NJ, right near NYC. If you drive from Newark Airport into Manhattan it would take about an hour and half if you miss traffic in NYC. Once you get into NJ, its a 40 minute straight shot down south to it.

Both airports are pretty far from Manhattan but it's not that difficult to get to either one. JFK can be reached by subway/Airtrain combination. It cost $7 last time I did it, maybe it's $7.25 now. It takes at least an hour. There is a New Jersey transit train that goes to Newark. I've never taken it but give yourself some time for that. There are also buses to the airports in front of Grand Central Station that leave every 20 minutes or so. I've taken the bus to all three airports.

If you have a lot of stuff and/or more than two people, you should get a car service. Call them the day before and tell them what time you want to be at the airport. They'll figure out when to come get you. Avoid the blue van at all costs. It takes forever.

Like djny said, you can take NJ Transit from NY Penn Station directly to Newark airport, and from there it's a monorail thingy to the terminals. I take NJ transit all the time, it's about twenty minutes from Penn to Newark. You just have to make sure you're getting on a train that stops at the airport, but it'll say destination EWR on the time schedule.

hope that helps!
--Tina

Last edited:
LaGuardia is the closest airport to Manhattan...and by far the easiest to get to by cab.

Airport cab rides are regulated now. They can't keep the meter running. They have to charge a flat rate. Depending on where you are it can range from $25-40 to NY airports (LAG/JFK). These rates I quoted could be a bit higher but not by much.

I wouldn't suggest a cab ride to JFK UNLESS it is real early in the morning or late at night as the traffic going out that way can be insane. The airtrain is the best option for peak hour traveling.

Catching cabs is not too bad. It can be if it's rush hour but there is NO shortage of cabs in Manhattan.

If you guys are in NYC and need a lift I'd be happy to help you out whether it's going to JFK or Newark. Just give a hollar. :shaka:

Plan some extra time. Last time we went to JFK, the train we were scheduled to take was "out of service" and we were redirected to a temporary shuttle bus that took way too long to get where it was going. I planned for an hour leeway and we barely made the plane.

Plan some extra time. Last time we went to JFK, the train we were scheduled to take was "out of service" and we were redirected to a temporary shuttle bus that took way too long to get where it was going. I planned for an hour leeway and we barely made the plane.

You have to give yourself more time than that here!
I live not too far from LAG and always give an hour.

Last time I traveled out...i got there and the lines were unlike anything i have ever seen.
The airports suggest that you are at the airport 2 hours before take off...and if you are an out of towner (in any state) I think that is the wisest choice.

there's a helicopter that will take you from jfk to (i think) the west side of manhattan. it's a little expensive (says $159 one way), but i bet it would be pretty freaking cool and you'd feel like a serious vip. http://www.flyush.com/

we should get a jam goin' while you're over here. there are lots of people on uu from the city and i don't think many have actually met each other.

there's a helicopter that will take you from jfk to (i think) the west side of manhattan. it's a little expensive (says $159 one way), but i bet it would be pretty freaking cool and you'd feel like a serious vip. http://www.flyush.com/

we should get a jam goin' while you're over here. there are lots of people on uu from the city and i don't think many have actually met each other.

Yeah definitely want to get a meet up going. Our NJ gig fell through so we figured we may as well stay in the city and try to film some stuff and meet as much of you guys as we can. Any suggestions for a place to meet up on the 7th or 8th?

hopefully the weather's nice and we can hit up a park OR i just thought of this and it may make for a neat video. recently they blocked off the street in parts of times square and put tables and chairs. alot of people from around here really hate being in times square, but i think it may be cool. i bet we would get an audience.

if the weather's not nice it could be a problem. seems like no one has enough room to host at their apt. i know i don't. we'll make something work.

3591428994_0845a09b5c.jpg

Sucks that the NJ show didn't work out. :(

Did a little googling and found out you need a permit in order to hold an event in NYC, and an additional one if there will be amplified sound. Takes 21-30 days to have the whole thing processed. D: But depending on the size of the whole thing, we might be able to get away with it (weather permitting).

If the weather sucks, we'd need a backup plan. A college would be a good bet. Anyone go to school in Manhattan?

Sucks that the NJ show didn't work out. :(

Did a little googling and found out you need a permit in order to hold an event in NYC, and an additional one if there will be amplified sound. Takes 21-30 days to have the whole thing processed. D: But depending on the size of the whole thing, we might be able to get away with it (weather permitting).

If the weather sucks, we'd need a backup plan. A college would be a good bet. Anyone go to school in Manhattan?

People are allowed to get together in parks and such without permits.

It can be an "unofficial" event...just a bunch of friends meeting up playing uke. It's done all the time in NYC...drum circles and other such musical jams.

Yeah, if we keep it low-key it shouldn't be a problem. I think they start cracking down if you have tables and chairs and a big sign.

Yeah, if we keep it low-key it shouldn't be a problem. I think they start cracking down if you have tables and chairs and a big sign.

Pretty much. You're more likely to get away with that out in Queens then in Manhattan. Flushing Meadows is a huge park with plenty of land to have a thousand UU gatherings at once.
There's always some sort of thing happening over there and I doubt anyone is getting hassled...unless they're being butnuts.
Astoria Park is another nice one.

A smaller gathering with no frills...Central Park...but parking stinks.

Also do any of you have any hotel suggestions that won't kill our bank account and won't have us sleeping in an area where we will likely be killed? We're flying into JFK and flying out of LGA.

Also do any of you have any hotel suggestions that won't kill our bank account and won't have us sleeping in an area where we will likely be killed? We're flying into JFK and flying out of LGA.

I think your best bet are hotels in Sunnyside, some in Long Island City and some in Astoria.
They're out of Manhattan and less insanely priced.
The areas are good too.

I offered this earlier but if you guys need a lift from and to the airport I'd be happy to do that for all you do here.
A little NYC Aloha. ;)

As Spooner says, Manhattan is over-priced. But if you want to stay in Manhattan, here are a couple of suggestions:

East Village Bed and Coffee

NY Inns group

I know people who have stayed in Bed and Coffee and they loved it. The other link is to a group of cheaper hotels that also have hostel style rooms.

So, we're going to be in NYC on Oct 7th and 8th. No gig but we will probably be filming during those days around the city.

Also, when I was searching for a place to play, I found this little coffee shop that does open mics every thursday in Brooklyn

http://tilliesofbrooklyn.com/
248 Dekalb Av. Brooklyn, NY 11205

Let's all Crash it on the 8th and turn it into an Ukulele Open Mic!

Also... does anyone want to be our tour guide while we are there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom