uke with guitar tuning

pinch

Reaction score
Anyone try the DGBE guitar tuning on a concert uke? Or the GDAE violin tuning? Are the frets in the right place for these tunings to work?

No reason why not but...

The hard part is making sure you have the right size strings for the tuning without getting overboard on the tension, that you have properly-sized slots in the nut and that the saddle is properly set up so the intonation's right.

The frets are right for any tuning.

--Mark

Aquila makes strings that are tuned GDAE like mando/violin. I've been meaning to do this to one of my ukes so that I can learn the chord shapes and maybe pickup a mando one day and play it decently :p

As for DGBE on a concert uke.. You'l have to get strings that have a high enough tension that in that tuning are not too slack feeling. You might have to make a set from individual string purchases, but I'm not entirely sure.

What about D tuning (ADF#B)? Is there any tension problem on the uke by simply tuning the "regular" C tuning strings up a whole step? Or are special strings required?

Anyone try the DGBE guitar tuning on a concert uke? Or the GDAE violin tuning? Are the frets in the right place for these tunings to work?

I have played DGBE on a concert-bodied uke. I liked the sound, but, these days, I prefer sticking to baritone ukes in that tuning.

You could... OR you could buy a baritone which is tuned DGBE...

But one thing I will ask is why do you want the guitar tuning? Why not just get a low G string and play it like you would a guitar capoed on the 4th fret... A G on ukulele is a D on guitar, a C is a G a D is an A, F a C... That's how I convert so many guitar players to become ukulele players.

But one thing I will ask is why do you want the guitar tuning?

I was kinda wondering that myself. The standard C tuning is already a lot like the standard guitar tuning, it's just slid up five half-tones. So the chord shapes will be familiar.

(I will say this, though... Now when I pick up one of my guitars, I feel like I'm playing a telephone pole!)

--Mark

I was kinda wondering that myself. The standard C tuning is already a lot like the standard guitar tuning, it's just slid up five half-tones. So the chord shapes will be familiar.

(I will say this, though... Now when I pick up one of my guitars, I feel like I'm playing a telephone pole!)

--Mark

lol yep so true! :)

Top Bottom