Your opinion, please: CB uke--book matched top, or most efficient use of the wood?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Brief explanation: the top and bottom of the box I bought for my CB uke are plywood. Very dull sounding plywood. So I cut the bottom off and purchased a book matched cedar top from Stewmac. The cedar is intended for a small guitar and could probably make at least three CB tops, unless I glue the book matched sides together and cut my top from the middle. In that case I'll have enough for one top, maybe two, and a whole lot leftover for whatever (bridge patch, anyone?). Part of me thinks I should go with the most efficient use of the wood (this isn't a "real" uke, after all, and it's my first attempt at any wood working since high school, so its looks aren't likely to knock anyone dead in any case), and part of me thinks I should "do it right" and go for the book matched look.

Opinions?

If it where me, I would go with the most efficient use of the wood.

I wouldn't worry about book matching a CB Uke. The who esthetic is to have it look like it was built from a cigar box, not a high end instrument.

Thanks--you're now officially my fall guys when people laugh at me for not book matching my top. ;)

I got your back man! I'm with them :)

I bought a full sized guitar front (in two pieces) and it gives me four CB uke fronts. I wouldn't consider book-matching - too wasteful. My guitar front cost me £40 - it is AAA Western Red Cedar.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom