how many winds on the post?

liverlipsyyz

Reaction score
i read that the fewer winds around the post the better. how many times should my string be wound around the post? also, is there an easy way to measure that out before i start winding? i remember from guitar there was a trick that if you hold the string up the distance of the lenght of your finger up over the fret board from the 5th fret or something, that was the perfect amount of slack to get the winds you need. are there any tricks like that for the uke? thanks!

I'm no expert, but -- I was taught at least 4 winds and maybe have about 2 1/2 inches to wind with. Do not cut the strings until all is done. Things happen and it isn't always pretty. I repeat -- do NOT cut the strings right away. <--- What that means is, I screwed up once. I learned my lesson.

Ukulele strings stretch a lot, so you can't really control how many winds you get on the post. I always pull it through the string post hole tight, then wind the post. By the time it's tuned up to pitch, you'll have several winds around the post. Since Iyou're starting with no slack on the string, it's basically the minimum number of winds possible on the post. Of course, you'll get a lot more winds on the G & A strings than you do the C & E strings.

Top Bottom