Risa electric ukes- who's played them, and do you like them?

SalsaShark

Reaction score
Hello everybody! So, I might be able to pick up a Risa Tenor Electric Solid body (http://ukulele.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/15_0.jpg) for a great price from a local shop, and I just want to see what other members think about it. I'm kind of looking to expand my sound and experiment a little, and I've had my eye on this for awhile. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share? Any and all info, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated!

I love it. It's my favorite uke. Has sustain almost like an electric guitar, great for effects. Of course, I mostly play metal and usually pick my ukes based on how outlandlish they look rather than how they sound.

I generally bring mine to the Islands when I go back, and I've used it to "busk" in Waikiki. It's a real head-turner.

I play through a Roland Micro-cube and makes a very portable/travel unit. (you can also use it as a club to ward off attackers!)

Mine is a soprano which I mostly strum vs pick. I carry it in a "trout-shaped" shoulder bag which also gets some double-takes when I hang it on the outside of my music stand.

I enjoy playing it when I need amplification. I also have an Applause Soprano and (don't hate me for this) I drilled a hole in my Kamaka soprano and fitted it with a passive pickup. I also have an Eleuke from Bugsgear.

If tenor is your preferred size I recommend going for it. You can always sell it later. I actually got a tenor, but it was too large for me as I play mostly Soprano, and some concert. I was able to trade with a friend who wanted a tenor but had a soprano!

They are unique and fun instruments. It takes a few accessories to be able to use it as a silent practice uke or a performance uke, but I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

PS when I showed up at the Kaka'ako event in July with my Risa Soprano Solid, I had a lot of positive "attention". Several members tried it out just for fun.

Has sustain almost like an electric guitar

Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I'm not hearing anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing because it's famous for it's sustain. I mean you can just hold it *imitating vibrato* and you can go have a bite and *imitating vibrato* you'd still be hearing that one.

Those steel string electric ukes are pretty cool. Probably a lot of fun when plugged into a nice modeling amp.

Top Bottom