Is this a good starter Ukulele?

From what I can tell... that would be an excellent starter uke. I want one myself as an upgrade. Also, musicguymic has a fantastic reputation, so its probably a good bet.

Thanks guys... will probably get this one then :)

It is a very good starter. I perform on the tenor Koa electric.

However these ukes need to have the right strings. When I got mine it had Aquila Nylguts which, despite sounding great on other ukuleles, do not sound good on the Kalas, IMHO. Spend an extra few dollars to order a set of Worth strings.

perfect starter ukulele for sure. I think its better than mine and i think my ukulele was perfect :)

Adding a voice to the choir:

Absolutely.

Thanks - I went ahead and got it. I'm really excited. Now I'm really going to have to learn!

Can't wait to be playing like Aldrine! :D (Yeah right!)

I can agree with the rest. Kala is a good brand. It's a nice ukulele for a start, though you have to bear in mind, that it is not made out of solid wood.

Buying anything from MGM is a no lose situation. He isn,t happy till you are! The Kala seems to get the thumbs up every time from anyone who gets them through Mike. Mike knows the all the builders and dealers, so they don't bother sending him ukes with "issues".

Buying anything from MGM is a no lose situation. He isn,t happy till you are! The Kala seems to get the thumbs up every time from anyone who gets them through Mike. Mike knows the all the builders and dealers, so they don't bother sending him ukes with "issues".

What kind of "issues" should one look out for when buying an Ukulele?

What kind of "issues" should one look out for when buying an Ukulele?

Well musical instruments, especially wooden ones, sometimes have quality control issues. The musician community relies on good businesses that won't sell crap stuff. Even so, you usually have the chance to audition it first to hear from yourself. Over the net that's just not possible, so the only thing we have to save us from frustration and regret is the shop not selling crap stuff.

I'll compare how MGM (musigguymic) does it to how a local reputable retailer does it. I ordered a Pono PTO, and MGM found the neck had some buzz to it. He took the time to check this because I'm not in his shop and I can't. So he got one from Koolau that was issue-free. It's one of those times that I was really happy for the delay. :)

This is night and day to how one of the local shops rolls. We were guitar shopping, and my husband was auditioning each of these nice guitars that were marked down. Every single one had a buzzing as you went up the fretboard. When he asked about it, he was told that they were all like that because they'd been put in the shop window and left there. But not to worry about the buzzing, because they were still fun to play.

They were marked down about 10% off, and as I remember they were Gibsons.

So much for caring about selling quality stuff and taking care of the inventory you have right? And I bet people bought them too.

MGM does NOT roll like that. :)

So much for caring about selling quality stuff and taking care of the inventory you have right? And I bet people bought them too.

MGM does NOT roll like that. :)

Thanks for the explanation!

I got my Kala in the mail yesterday it seems really nice!

It was really out of tune when I got it though.

Nothing an hour, the pitch pipe and multiple videos on YouTube couldn't fix...and my wife used to play bass so I would've been totally lost without her. :D

Learned the C, F and G chords last night I love this thing!

Nothing an hour, the pitch pipe and multiple videos on YouTube couldn't fix...and my wife used to play bass so I would've been totally lost without her. :D

it's going to be out of tune everytime you take it out of the case. the strings keep stretching all the time. so tuning up will most likely be necessary each time you play. have fun with your new uke! tons of fun right?

it's going to be out of tune everytime you take it out of the case. the strings keep stretching all the time. so tuning up will most likely be necessary each time you play. have fun with your new uke! tons of fun right?

Tons of fun... I was going to put it in the case after each time I finished playing.. Should I not do that? I'm just trying to keep it safe away from my little monsters!

That's awesome, when did you buy it? I bought my first ukulele from MGM on Monday and he shipped it out on Tuesday so I'm hoping to get mine sometime next week.

Congratulations on your new instrument Duro! Now, let the good times roll! :)

Plainsong, great explanation above! You really wonderfully explained the difference that MGM makes! :D

Top Bottom