PDA

View Full Version : Hello and beginner question!

csullivan
09-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Hello my name is Cory and I am new to ukulele playing. I lived in Mililani HI for two years and first picked up the uke then. I stopped playing for a number of years when I left Hawaii because there was no one around me playing. I just started playing again when I saw Seeso playing on youtube. So thank you to Seeso. Love your videos man. My beginner question is how do I know what type of ukulele I have? Tenor, concert, it does not say anywere? Is there an easy way to tell? Also does anyone know of anyone who teaches in New Hampshire?

KC8AFW
09-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Welcome to UU, Cory!

The best way to tell what size you have is to measure from the nut to the saddle. A soprano will be about 13.5" or 14", concert is about 15", and tenor is about 17".

csullivan
09-25-2009, 04:38 AM
So I saw that UU sells strings but they only have Concert and Tenor Strings can I purchase ones for a soprano because I think that is what I have.

KC8AFW
09-25-2009, 07:14 AM
So I saw that UU sells strings but they only have Concert and Tenor Strings can I purchase ones for a soprano because I think that is what I have.

The concert set will also fit a soprano (they'll just be a little long...you'll cut that off anyway). Also, different strings make different ukes sound better. My favorite for laminate ukes are the aquilas (http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-SOPRANO-Nylgut-ukulele-strings_W0QQitemZ330362310934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb20d116&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262). I like the Worth CM on my solid wood ukes. Point is...try different ones and see which sounds best to you. I like to get my strings from MGM (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room__W0QQ_armrsZ1), because he has the best deal on shipping.

ukulele2544
09-25-2009, 07:26 PM
How many frets do you have on you ukulele?

seeso
09-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Hope you got your question answered, and I'm stoked that I had a hand in getting you playing again. That's awesome. :D

csullivan
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I count 12 frets! It says inside the uke kamaka or kamakal ukulele. It is solid wood. My mother inlaw got it at a yard sale. Does anyone know if this is a good uke. Seems small compared to what I see on videos. Hey thanks for the reply seeso. I have a bunch of guitar chord books is it the same chords? Not sure if I am playing right but does not sound right.

Choboy
09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
hey csullivan and welcome to UU!

if in fact your uke is made by "kamaka"... you should go up to your mother-in-law and give her the biggest hug ever!
kamaka is one of the best (if not... the BEST) uke company out there. it's certainly one of the oldest hawiian ukulele companies.

a kamaka goes for several hundred dollars.

djny
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
That's a nice gift you got from your mother-in-law!

csullivan
09-28-2009, 01:27 AM
hey csullivan and welcome to UU!

if in fact your uke is made by "kamaka"... you should go up to your mother-in-law and give her the biggest hug ever!
kamaka is one of the best (if not... the BEST) uke company out there. it's certainly one of the oldest hawiian ukulele companies.

a kamaka goes for several hundred dollars.

:drool: Then you are not going to believe me when I tell you she got it for $25 dollars. Can anyone that has one recommend some good strings that would play nice on it.