Give someone a guitalele contest

vahn

Reaction score
So recently I have been trying to sell my Strunal 1/4 size classical guitar. Times have been rough lately for me and my family, but honestly I feel like someone who would buy it would probably play it once and a while and let it sit as it has in its life with me. I used to use it a lot for transposition guitar songs and such..

Really this is a great instrument and it deserves to be played by someone who will appreciate it. Something my mom said the other day gave me this idea.

First a little background information about myself and my family: I'm 25 with 3 sons 4 yrs, 2yrs, and 1yr old (yikes I know) I'm engaged to their mother. Last year I got laid off from my full-time job and was only able to find pt work and a strong love for the ukulele. My mother and her husband are fairly well to do, and I have younger siblings who are still in grade school who live with her and are spoiled brats. My parents help out with babysitting about once a week with my sons but we've never asked them for help financially or anything (I'm a pretty prideful person) Recently, because my Mom knows times are tough for us she bought us a bunch of diapers ostensibly so she could have them at her house when they came over but she bought the giganto box and took 5 diapers out and gave us the rest. When I told her I felt bad about taking it she told me it always makes her feel the best when she can help us out because we are so appreciative. She could have spent 2x that amount on buying my brother a new video game that he would just take for granted.

So anyways I think this is the best way for my instrument that I love to find a new home!! I got this crazy idea to hold a contest to give away my guitalele! Here are the important parts:

-This is not a contest to win a guitalele. The winner of the contest will help me give away the guitalele to someone who is deserving.

-you must submit who you think should recieve, and why. It could be a deserving forum member, or someone you know IRL

-Due to my financial situation I just ask that whoever wins pays for the shipping to who they want to give it to.

-Do not nominate yourself It just won't happen!

-Please post your submissions here on the thread

-Entries must be submitted by October 14th

-The winner will be announced no later that October 16th

Feel free to post whatever your opinions of who should win and what you think of everyones elses submissions. I think it goes without saying, but please do not lie just to get a free instrument! Lets keep the spirit behind this positive so there is plenty of good karma for everyone!

Good Luck!

Heres more info abt the instrument:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19380

Last edited:
could a mod please change the title of the thread to match the subtitle? Thank you.

Wow, what an amazingly generous idea. I'm sure there's a lot of deserving people on this forum, I couldn't possibly suggest one off of the top of my head though. Good karma will come your way my friend :)

ok question ... you said someone we can suggest in real life.. sooo there is this kid at my church who is i think about 15 and he LOVES music and is actually a very talented kid and very fast learner.. well i brought my uke to church the other day and he fell in love with it... this kid really looks up to me and i really want to give him or buy him a uke but i just cant afford to as i make NO money at my job .. and i just bought a new car and have car payments and rent... so new ukes are out of the question... so could i nominate him ? or possibly my church ? the reason id like to nominate him is because he like myself was a katrina victim along with his family and they pretty much lost everything in the hurricane ! including his drumset photo albums a piano and their house.. music has really kept him sane .. they got hit by katrina then rita and then they got hit bad in gustav too... they are now renting houses until the houses are sold because they cant afford to buy one flat out... so they move around alot... they are a little on the less fortunate side.. but he really liked the uke and i think it would be a great instrument for him .. i have an amp i can give him so he can play on it if he wins.. but i think it would be good for him because if they have to evacuate again its small and light enough he could take it with him and not have to worry about it being lost in the hurricane .. well thats my nomination ... soo plz consider him :D thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would like to nominate my girlfriend. I was planning on getting her a ukulele when financial aid for college came through. But living off just financial aid is tough, paying for bills and rent, money is really tight. Music has really brought us closer together. And although she loves a guitar more than an uke, but the uke just so more convenient. Guitalele is just the best of both world. Thanks for your kindness, and whoever you decide to give it to I'm sure is very deserving!

I nominate Deach. It is a chance to give back to Santa. He has done so much for random people on this forum and has never asked for anything in return.

could a mod please change the title of the thread to match the subtitle? Thank you.

There you go, sounds better now^^

Thanks!

I nominate Deach. It is a chance to give back to Santa. He has done so much for random people on this forum and has never asked for anything in return.
Thanks! but there are so many other deserving people who can't afford a nice instrument.

good submission mrUKETOBER! And I agree that it would be nice to give back to santa, but I think I would just make him some milk and uke shaped cookies instead!!

While it is important they be deserving (like deach) I would also like to make sure it goes to someone who really doesn't have the means to be able to get something themselves. After all I am in a similar financial situation (just with an extra instrument that is awesome and lying around in a corner)

I have been practicing some on the guitalele, was thinking about making a video to show what it sounds like, and everytime I start playing it I really get into it and like the sound. Part of why I want it to go to someone else is that it deserves to be played all the time, not a lot for 2 days of every month or two.

Bonus points for anyone who writes a song about who they want to give the guitalele to and makes a video.

Can I pm you my nomination b/c of confidentiality reasons? Otherwise here is a generic version so that I don't lose my job.

I have a student that is a little different than other students. He lives in a large family that consist of siblings and cousins (my school is his 6th school). He has a musical gift but family lacks financial means for any instruments. This student has expressed intrest in my ukulele club but he wants to play guitar instead of ukulele (because of his difference). He always mentions that he wished he had a guitar b/c he really likes them. So I have been trying to put a uke in his hands but he refuses because it doesn't have 6 strings. I no longer have any guitars so I nominate him. If you need me I can PM you with more details but other than that there is my generic submission.

good submission mrUKETOBER! And I agree that it would be nice to give back to santa, but I think I would just make him some milk and uke shaped cookies instead!!

While it is important they be deserving (like deach) I would also like to make sure it goes to someone who really doesn't have the means to be able to get something themselves. After all I am in a similar financial situation (just with an extra instrument that is awesome and lying around in a corner)

I have been practicing some on the guitalele, was thinking about making a video to show what it sounds like, and everytime I start playing it I really get into it and like the sound. Part of why I want it to go to someone else is that it deserves to be played all the time, not a lot for 2 days of every month or two.

Bonus points for anyone who writes a song about who they want to give the guitalele to and makes a video.

thanks vaugh i thought he would be a good candidate for it .. i mean theres lots of people i could nominate on the forums but i find this kid is very talented and i think he might make it in music one day if he can get in good with the right people.. he is very talented... he actually got me started on drums lol .. so id really like to be able to help him out some.. esp with something light.. because he can take it with them very easily if they ever find a permanent house to stay in

man i cant write songs so the bonus part is out for me

Submission via PM:

I would like to nominate my friend from class because he used to play the uke but he had brought it to school one day an let someone try it out and just try to play something but the kid ends up taking the uke an throwing it down a flight of stairs and then taking off on his skate board with a bunch of his buddies. I would like to nominate him because as of right now he is going through some pretty bad times and he used to look so happy with his ukulele. This had happened a couple months back.

Submission via PM:

I would like to nominate my friend from class because he used to play the uke but he had brought it to school one day an let someone try it out and just try to play something but the kid ends up taking the uke an throwing it down a flight of stairs and then taking off on his skate board with a bunch of his buddies. I would like to nominate him because as of right now he is going through some pretty bad times and he used to look so happy with his ukulele. This had happened a couple months back.

Wow. Kids these days...

well technically speaking yes, but I thought I would get more submissions! If anyone wants to enter still I can extend this for another week or two say till the end of October. If you don't feel like posting you can send via pm

Top Bottom