My fingers don't work right

CountryMouse

Reaction score
Or else it's really some wires that get crossed in my brain.

I've been playing the ukulele for one month now. I still have trouble remembering (or my fingers have trouble remembering) the difference between G and G7. I don't hold my hand and wrist vertically for those two chords and a few others also. I just can't make the chords properly if I do.

I'm just feeling stuck and probably need to just practice, practice, practice. I want to play cool things, but instead I'm going to have to go back and start at the beginning and work on very very simple things until they become ingrained.

Also I'm still working on finding the best way to hold my soprano uke so that my left hand will be totally free to move around the fretboard and not feel it needs to support the neck in any way. I use a homemade strap, but I still don't feel confident that the uke isn't going to wiggle.

I guess I'm just feeling frustrated at being at a place where I can play somewhat, but knowing I'm really going to have to backtrack to get better.

Youse guys all play so wonderfully--I love watching your videos on YouTube, but I also wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near as good as any of you. Maybe my brain-finger connection will never get that good. I dunno.

You can see what I am doing or not doing right in the four most recent videos on my YouTube channel.

Any words of wisdom? Or encouragement?

CountryMouse

Don't feel bad I am still struggling with some chords, and my fingers don't want to rember anything either. Still trying to figer out how I am going to do a four finger chord, when I only have three fingers.

I have got to the point that I can play some slow songs, but still have no timing. I finley told myself that I will never play like Jake, so now I am happy to play what I can, and enjoy it.

Don't feel bad I am still struggling with some chords, and my fingers don't want to remember anything either. Still trying to figure out how I am going to do a four finger chord, when I only have three fingers.

I have got to the point that I can play some slow songs, but still have no timing. I finley told myself that I will never play like Jake, so now I am happy to play what I can, and enjoy it.

Hey, but you have a real physical reason for not being able to play like others. How long have you been playing the ukulele?

Maybe I have a mental excuse. Seriously, I've been on a beta blocker for my heart for years and years--I wonder if it's slowed my thinking processes down too. I have trouble with remembering what fingers go where sometimes when I'm playing medium bass (you use four fingers for that) in Rock Band 2. It's like a brain f*rt. It doesn't bother me quite as much if no one's watching; but I am a darn perfectionist and it's not going well. :-/

I hope I can get to where you are and just enjoy where I am at the moment. Maybe if I just enjoy what I'm doing/where I'm at right now and not try to impress anyone (including me)?

CountryMouse

Hey, but you have a real physical reason for not being able to play like others. How long have you been playing the ukulele?

Maybe I have a mental excuse. Seriously, I've been on a beta blocker for my heart for years and years--I wonder if it's slowed my thinking processes down too. I have trouble with remembering what fingers go where sometimes when I'm playing medium bass (you use four fingers for that) in Rock Band 2. It's like a brain f*rt. It doesn't bother me quite as much if no one's watching; but I am a darn perfectionist and it's not going well. :-/

I hope I can get to where you are and just enjoy where I am at the moment. Maybe if I just enjoy what I'm doing/where I'm at right now and not try to impress anyone (including me)?

CountryMouse

I know all about beta blockers have been on them and other med.s for years now. Have really bad aurtheritus (spelling) ,and like I say only three usable fingers on left hand. I really think it all comes down to will power, and practice. I have only been playing for about 4 months, and I can hear that I am getting better. Like I say my thing is timing, just can't get fingers to move fast enough. I just keep telling my self that with time I will get better. I have also found that I can play a song perfict at home, than I go to see a friend to jam with and can't hit a note right.

As for you last line in your post rember this. "You have no one to inpress, but youself."

I know all about beta blockers have been on them and other med.s for years now. Have really bad aurtheritus (spelling) ,and like I say only three usable fingers on left hand. I really think it all comes down to will power, and practice. I have only been playing for about 4 months, and I can hear that I am getting better. Like I say my thing is timing, just can't get fingers to move fast enough. I just keep telling my self that with time I will get better. I have also found that I can play a song perfict at home, than I go to see a friend to jam with and can't hit a note right.

As for you last line in your post rember this. "You have no one to inpress, but youself."

I've got to remember that: will power and practice! :)

And you're so right. I can sit down to just run through the chords of a song I like, and I'm fine. I get in front of my camera to make a video and I can never get through a song without messing up at least one chord.

I gotta stop comparing myself to anyone and just enjoy the music. :)

CountryMouse

I've got to remember that: will power and practice! :)

And you're so right. I can sit down to just run through the chords of a song I like, and I'm fine. I get in front of my camera to make a video and I can never get through a song without messing up at least one chord.

I gotta stop comparing myself to anyone and just enjoy the music. :)

CountryMouse

Now you got it:D

No willpower.

Guitarist David Wilcox once said in an interview that I heard on the radio: "Artists work. They create works of art. Musicians play."

Yes, it takes practice, but practice should be more fun than work. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I finley told myself that I will never play like Jake, so now I am happy to play what I can, and enjoy it.
Ya know what? I have carpal tunnel, tendinitis and arthritis, and that has virtually assured that I'll never be a great classical guitarist. :(

To top that off, several years ago I severed some tendons at the base of my left hand pinky. After surgery, therapy and a "remarkable recovery for someone your age" according to the therapist (talk about rubbing it in), I still lost a good amount of extension in the pinky.

I had a choice... play within my limitations or quit playing. Well, quitting was never an option for me.

There are some chords/stretches I can't reach. I just figure out what's easiest for me in terms of reach and make do. (Usually you're not there long enough to make one less note really noticeable anyway.)

Think about Django Reinhart or Phil Keaggy. They both made it with less than fully functional hands.

Playing music is an important part of my life, and I'm grateful for what I can still do with my hands and try not to dwell on what I can't.

Ya know what? I have carpal tunnel, tendinitis and arthritis, and that has virtually assured that I'll never be a great classical guitarist. :(

To top that off, several years ago I severed some tendons at the base of my left hand pinky. After surgery, therapy and a "remarkable recovery for someone your age" according to the therapist (talk about rubbing it in), I still lost a good amount of extension in the pinky.

I had a choice... play within my limitations or quit playing. Well, quitting was never an option for me.

There are some chords/stretches I can't reach. I just figure out what's easiest for me in terms of reach and make do. (Usually you're not there long enough to make one less note really noticeable anyway.)

Think about Django Reinhart or Phil Keaggy. They both made it with less than fully functional hands.

Playing music is an important part of my life, and I'm grateful for what I can still do with my hands and try not to dwell on what I can't.

Very well said.

I was just about to mention Django Reinhardt. There's always ways around "limitations" if you want it bad enough.

The two best pieces of advice about improving that I ever received:

-- Play a song (or a phrase) until you've "mastered" it (however you define that) before moving on to something else. Just break songs into small pieces that you can practice over and over, even it's just a simple chord change.

-- Once you're fairly competent on a piece, use a metronome (at least sometimes). This develops tempo, but also points out your weaker chord/note changes so you know what to work on. Plus it can be fun.

Anyway, these two basics have always helped me. I agree with you about the difficulty of holding a soprano steady. I actually shift mine around a lot, especially when moving between open and barre chords. The thumb has to move, and so does my arm, and that's just the way it goes.

A third piece of advice (less important at the moment perhaps, but still could be helpful) is to memorize the names of the notes on the first 5 frets, and to become aware (if you're not already) of the root note in each chord position. This you can actually practice away from the instrument, while you're doing other more mundane things. But it can help you differentiate between different chord shapes and help keep you oriented.

Whatever works for you is what's best! Enjoy!

Gee, after reading your post I thought you would be really bad. But I watched your videos and have to say I don't understand what you're talking about.

You've been playing for one month? Get outa here, you're doing great! Why are you so impatient? Nobody, NOBODY can master any instrument in a month. And only a few geniuses can do it in less than several years.

You're not one of those people that fishes for complements by putting themselves down, are you?;)

Also I'm still working on finding the best way to hold my soprano uke so that my left hand will be totally free to move around the fretboard and not feel it needs to support the neck in any way. I use a homemade strap, but I still don't feel confident that the uke isn't going to wiggle.

CountryMouse

Have a strap button installed, and add a nice mandolin strap. The last thing you should have to worry about is dropping the uke. And it will give you the freedom to get the best hand positions for each chord. I like this one since it doesn't have any hardware that might scratch the uke.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XPPPXO/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
Levy's Leathers 1/2 Carving Leather Mandolin Strap
They come in many colors, and some of them have been on sale.

With practice you will get better. Just have fun. There are plenty of wonderful tones in that ukulele that are easy to get to.

–Lori

Any words of wisdom? Or encouragement?
Practice. When you're done that, practice more. And then practice some more again. And just to be sure, practice a little more. And when you're done al that, start all over.

After 40+ years playing guitar and other instruments, I still make the musical equivalent of typos, especially when learning a song. Oops. that was G when I meant G7. But when I stop trying so hard, when I start playing for the sheer pleasure of the sound, for the fun of hearing myself, then I stop making so many mistakes.​

Practice. When you're done that, practice more. And then practice some more again. And just to be sure, practice a little more. And when you're done al that, start all over.

After 40+ years playing guitar and other instruments, I still make the musical equivalent of typos, especially when learning a song. Oops. that was G when I meant G7. But when I stop trying so hard, when I start playing for the sheer pleasure of the sound, for the fun of hearing myself, then I stop making so many mistakes.​

I couldn't have said it better. Playing the uke is like any sort of physical skill, it takes a while to pick up. People like Aldrine and Jake have been playing since they were children, their muscles are used to all of this. I've been playing about 16 months now and it's taken me that long to get used to playing some chords.

You get better and better as you practice but as ichadwick said you have to keep going.

It's taken me a couple years to get comfortable enough with fretting that I can get my pinky to do what I want. Most of the time. :)

And just this week I finally learned how to strum from watching Aldrine's lessons. What I'm saying is keep at it, have fun, and you'll keep having breakthroughs.

No willpower.

Guitarist David Wilcox once said in an interview that I heard on the radio: "Artists work. They create works of art. Musicians play."

Yes, it takes practice, but practice should be more fun than work. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Oh! Good thing to remember (about it being playing, not work).

CMouse

Wow, you are a strong-minded person!

I didn't know Phil Keaggy had any physical limitations. One heck of a guitarist, though!

CountryMouse

The two best pieces of advice about improving that I ever received:

-- Play a song (or a phrase) until you've "mastered" it (however you define that) before moving on to something else. Just break songs into small pieces that you can practice over and over, even it's just a simple chord change.

-- Once you're fairly competent on a piece, use a metronome (at least sometimes). This develops tempo, but also points out your weaker chord/note changes so you know what to work on. Plus it can be fun.

Anyway, these two basics have always helped me. I agree with you about the difficulty of holding a soprano steady. I actually shift mine around a lot, especially when moving between open and barre chords. The thumb has to move, and so does my arm, and that's just the way it goes.

A third piece of advice (less important at the moment perhaps, but still could be helpful) is to memorize the names of the notes on the first 5 frets, and to become aware (if you're not already) of the root note in each chord position. This you can actually practice away from the instrument, while you're doing other more mundane things. But it can help you differentiate between different chord shapes and help keep you oriented.

Whatever works for you is what's best! Enjoy!

That is so hard for me to do: just practice one song only. There are so many things I want to play, want to try.

I'll have to see how much metronomes cost. :p

Thanks for the advice!

CountryMouse

Top Bottom