Air travel with your uke

molokinirum

Reaction score
Recently returned from Hawaii with a new uke and want to pass along part of what happened at the airports. I flew to the islands on United Airlines, then flew inter-island on Hawaiian Airlines. No problem taking the uke in a hard case as a carry on on the Hawaiian Airlines flights. Had quite a bit of a hassle upon boarding the return flights on United though.
When checking in my bags in Honolulu, I was told by the agent that we are only allowed to carry on the plane two personal items. There were three of us and a total of 7 carry on items which meant we had one too many! I told the agent about the agreement that allows a musical instrument not count towards a carry on item. I was then informed that it is up to each airline whether to allow that or not, but at the gate I could try anyway.
So, prior to boarding, an announcement was made about the carry on limits and that the gate agents would be checking all carry on items and not allow any extra items. When boarding, the gate agent stoped me and told me I had to check in the extra item. All of my carry on items were bags with gifts and that meant the uke would have to get checked in. I again stated the agreement and showed the letter and convinced her that since it was way smaller than peoples suit cases that were allowed it should pose no real problem. Well she finally agreed. This was in the Honolulu Airport!! I had a conecting filght in Denver and the same problem happened and again, I got the gate agent to allow me to bring me uke on board.
Just a warning to all who travel with a uke, seems some of the airlines are clamping down. They claim it is a space and weight problem when we all really know it's really a need to charge extra fees problem!:wtf::rulez:

While I sympathize, I also have to point out that the regulations clearly state that you can carry on two items, and you were carrying on three.

I nearly always travel with a uke in a gig bag along with my computer in a brief case. I never have a problem...because I simply go with the program...two carry-ons. This is on international flights, flights within countries, etc. Just follow the rules, and you won't have a problem. Consolidate your luggage and carry-ons so you don't have to waste your time, the airline's employees' time, and the time of your fellow passengers. Be considerate of others while traveling. It's hard enough these days without passengers all trying to fudge the rules.

If you need to carry a lot of odd items, consider getting something like a travel vest that has a dozen or more pockets and simply WEAR your excess carry-on stuff.

hey mate, what kind of hard case did you have, was it a propper wooden hard case or one of the cheaper soft hardcases??? (only asking as im traveling with my uke a crissy and not to sure if those wooden hard cases are a little too big)

While I sympathize, I also have to point out that the regulations clearly state that you can carry on two items, and you were carrying on three.

I nearly always travel with a uke in a gig bag along with my computer in a brief case. I never have a problem...because I simply go with the program...two carry-ons. This is on international flights, flights within countries, etc. Just follow the rules, and you won't have a problem. Consolidate your luggage and carry-ons so you don't have to waste your time, the airline's employees' time, and the time of your fellow passengers. Be considerate of others while traveling. It's hard enough these days without passengers all trying to fudge the rules.

Yeah, I'm with Rick on this. I'm a professional musician and I travel a lot, and I've learned it's best not to push your luck. Play within the mainstream rules, and you'll get along much easier.

Also, I've seen airlines occasionally announce that because of an extremely full flight, passengers are only allowed ONE piece, and they made people check their second piece when boarding. This happens in particular with smaller planes. In that situation, you might be able to talk them into letting you take two, but there's no way they'd allow three.

The path of least resistance is a good one to take in this instance...

Airports can be a pain :( I had something similar on my way back from Bolivia, when I was carrying my laptop, a bag, and my uke. I didn't have any problems carrying all three on the way to Bolivia, or when I left the country, but when I landed in Miami on the way back, they gave me a really hard time, told me I had to check the uke, and refused to let me on the plane until I only had two carry-ons. I finally got through after I demonstrated that I could fit my laptop into my other bag, thus turning my three carry-ons into two. Which I thought was a bit silly, because as soon as I turned the corner, I took my laptop out again :D

That is tough...that is why I am extremely careful when I take my uke (which is always). I take it in its hard case, then only have a shoulder bag for my other carryon.

Even then, I had a strap installed onto my ukulele hard case so that I can wear it over my shoulder. I turn my back away from the gate agent when handing them my boarding pass. That way, even if they see the strap, my body is blocking their view of the ukulele. And they usually assume the strap belongs to a purse or laptop bag.

I'm glad you were able to convince them to let you carry it on, I would hate to check my ukulele, and if that is your new Kamaka it would be even more nerve wracking. I'm in New York right now and our hotel wouldn't let us check in, so I'm already sweating bullets over leaving it with the bellman. I would have a heart attack over giving my beloved "Pele" to baggage claim, especially after viewing "United Breaks Guitars."

...and then there was the time:

Last year, my entire family was traveling to Miami for vacation. The gate agent came on the plane and explained the aircraft was too heavy for takeoff: WHo would volunteer to take the next flight to Dallas, then to Miami later in the day (this is from Louisville, KY).

No one volunteered: She said, "Fine...then we're removing bags until the plane is at the right weight". 5 minutes later, there goes two luggage carts filled with bags (my suitcase arrived two days later...since it was Miami and we were just hanging by the pool..no biggie, I bought a swim suit/shorts and a tee shirt).

As I frequently travel on business, I am mystified by the amount of luggage people bring onto airplanes, clearly more than three items and frequently larger than the recommended size. And, as the story above shows, with the airlines emphasis on using smaller aircraft, weight and cabin room is becoming a problem.

When I travel with an instrument, I always reduce my carry-ons so it can ride in the cabin.

molokinirum I'm with you. I think it is a reason to get more money. Last time I flew back in July I was coming back from Hawaii to Georgia. My wife and I mailed most of our clothes home b/c we saved $30 that way. I had a carry-on back pack, 2 ukuleles (1 in hard case and one in gig bag) and my wife had a back pack and laptop. Had zero problems. The rules do state that you are to have 2 carryons but there is the agreement where a musical instrument does not count as a carry on. You weren't fudging the rules you were following an agreement and the studpid airlines are greedy and want extra money. That is all that it is. Eventually flying will only be for the priviledged again. On a side note When we got to Vegas for our layover we stayed overnight and the next morning had to recheck luggage. They confiscated our guava jam. Said it was a liquid. I almost caused a scene.

If you need to carry a lot of odd items, consider getting something like a travel vest that has a dozen or more pockets and simply WEAR your excess carry-on stuff.

Hey Rick,
I understand what you are saying however........I am following the agreement that states a musical instrument does not count towards a carry on item! I did'nt make the rules (agreement) I am only following them. I just posted this incident to let all know that the airlines can and will change the rules as they wish and there is not much you can do. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that one of the carry on items was a medical equipment which is not counted so in effect we had six items between the three of us. The gate attendent did not know this at first but I told her it was. Then she tried to claim that the uke was oversized and might have to checked in. But thankfully, she agreed to let me bring it on the plane. It is funny that she considered the uke oversized but not the guy wheeling two suitcases on board!!!!

molokinirum I'm with you. I think it is a reason to get more money. Last time I flew back in July I was coming back from Hawaii to Georgia. My wife and I mailed most of our clothes home b/c we saved $30 that way. I had a carry-on back pack, 2 ukuleles (1 in hard case and one in gig bag) and my wife had a back pack and laptop. Had zero problems. The rules do state that you are to have 2 carryons but there is the agreement where a musical instrument does not count as a carry on. You weren't fudging the rules you were following an agreement and the studpid airlines are greedy and want extra money. That is all that it is. Eventually flying will only be for the priviledged again. On a side note When we got to Vegas for our layover we stayed overnight and the next morning had to recheck luggage. They confiscated our guava jam. Said it was a liquid. I almost caused a scene.

They took the guava jam????:wtf: Here is another one, I had put my shaving kit into a carry on bag and they took my shaving cream away!!!!:biglaugh: However, the razors were ok!!!:wallbash: You can't make this stuff up!!!!

hey mate, what kind of hard case did you have, was it a propper wooden hard case or one of the cheaper soft hardcases??? (only asking as im traveling with my uke a crissy and not to sure if those wooden hard cases are a little too big)

It is a hard case not a soft gig bag.

I am following the agreement that states a musical instrument does not count towards a carry on item! I did'nt make the rules (agreement) I am only following them.

That rule only applies to how many items TSA must screen per person at one of its security theater checkpoints. The law that put it in place spells out pretty clearly that the airlines still have the right to set whatever carry-on rules they want.

It is funny that she considered the uke oversized but not the guy wheeling two suitcases on board!!!!

The airlines really shot themselves in the foot with the baggage fees, because now everyone will stuff as much as they can into the largest carry-on item they can bring aboard to avoid paying them. It also doesn't help that they're flying full, because the storage on smaller planes isn't up to that kind of load.

--Mark

Besides the obvious damage by baggage handlers aa a reason never to check a uke, isn't there a danger because of the pressure in in the cargo compartments? ( toothpaste and shampoo in ziplock bags in case it gets messy)
Always wondered about that. Regardless I always plan on my uke as a carry on.
If I'm not mistaken airlines claim that a women's pocketbook or purse isn't considered a carry on. If that is true perhaps I'll invest in a nice "manbag"

They took the guava jam????:wtf: Here is another one, I had put my shaving kit into a carry on bag and they took my shaving cream away!!!!:biglaugh: However, the razors were ok!!!:wallbash: You can't make this stuff up!!!!

Yeah. A friend told me to tell them next time I'm diabetic or hypoglausemic and they'll have to let me carryon the jam:). It is getting more and more crazy with the regulations. I got on a flight earlier than my wife once and they told her she had to check a bag but let the lady behind her bring 4 bags on. It's really all about the money.

Besides the obvious damage by baggage handlers aa a reason never to check a uke, isn't there a danger because of the pressure in in the cargo compartments? ( toothpaste and shampoo in ziplock bags in case it gets messy)
Always wondered about that. Regardless I always plan on my uke as a carry on.
If I'm not mistaken airlines claim that a women's pocketbook or purse isn't considered a carry on. If that is true perhaps I'll invest in a nice "manbag"

Not too sure about that, United was counting EVERYTHING including purses! Wife had to stuff handbag into one of her carry on bags!

They say medical devices don't count against your carry on allowance. If we could just get UAS listed as a medical condition, ukuleles would be considered just as important as a CPAP or oxygen tank. I would definitely be a calmer passenger with the knowledge my uke was safe.:eek:

It is so weird. It wasn't too long ago when they didn't want you to have any large carry ons, and preferred checked baggage for security reasons. But now that you have to pay a fee for all checked baggage, the carry on route is going to be very big. I am sure the flight attendants are pretty unhappy about it.

–Lori

FYI, thus weekend's USA Today had an article that said airlines made $3.8 BILLION in fees in this quarter. Baggage fees alone accounted for revenue of $118 million each at American and Delta. Fly Southwest and you get two free checked bags, leaving you the ability to carry your ukulele no problem. Of course now we just need Southwest to fly to/from Hawaii!

anybody fly Alaska Air to/ from Hawaii?

I am flying Alaska Air, and I hope they are following the guidelines on their website.
All items brought onboard count toward your carry-on limit except the following:
Coats, hats, umbrellas
Reasonable amount of reading material
FAA approved child/infant restraint seats to be occupied by a child
Stroller
Mobility assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, canes and crutches)
Medical supplies and small medical equipment (e.g. CPAP machine for sleep apnea). Visit Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions on the TSA website for more information on allowed medical items and screening procedures.
Small musical instruments (e.g. violin, flute, clarinet, guitar) provided they are of a size or shape that can be safely stowed in an overhead bin or closet. Any musical instrument (e.g. oversized or odd-shaped) that cannot be properly stowed, must be checked or travel as cabin seat baggage.
Ashes in an Urn. Ashes must be in a sealed, leak-proof container that fits in an overhead compartment. For information about TSA screening requirements, visit the Transporting the Deceased section of the TSA website.
I am fine with following the rules, especially if they list them on the website. The question is, do they actually follow these rules, or will I be surprised?

–Lori

Top Bottom