tenor uke?

aliveandhere

Reaction score
hey everyone,

I recently bought a uke after many years of mucking around on the guitar (never too keen!) but really loved the uke. I originally bought a $20 model which lasted about 3 weeks till i bought a Hanapepe concert (about $400) which i been playing for about 6 months.

I really love this little uke, but i was interested in a tenor and bought a Fender Koa Nohea tenor for about $5oo au, discounted price. It sounds beautiful but has no balls!!! its very quiet compared to my concert hanapepe, are tenors quieter in general?? i really need to hammer it to get a big sound,
my concert has these grainy clear frosted strings that have a huge sound, but my tenor seems like its lying on its side compared to the concert.

Appreciate ur thoughts!!

Happen to know what strings came on the tenor?

I switched from stock strings to D'Addarios on my soprano, gained a lot volume and sustain.

does it make sense to you that the bigger the instrument, the quieter it is?

me either...

tenors rule

fender makes good electric guitars and amps. It'd be a cold day before I spent alot of money on an uke from a company that makes electric guitars and, AT BEST, mediocre acoustics. Get an ukulele from a manufacturer that specializes in them...you'll get more for your money.

hey,

I actually took my first one baclk cause it had some fret buzz, they replaced it with another model that sounded good, it sounds great sometimes but has no bite and volume,
are tenors generally quieter? i read afew reports on fenders and they are def not rated as a s** uke. I actually played a $2000 model while comparing and thought them much the same!! maybe my concert is exceptional as this is the first uke i got into..................

hey,

I actually took my first one baclk cause it had some fret buzz, they replaced it with another model that sounded good, it sounds great sometimes but has no bite and volume,
are tenors generally quieter? i read afew reports on fenders and they are def not rated as a s** uke. I actually played a $2000 model while comparing and thought them much the same!! maybe my concert is exceptional as this is the first uke i got into..................

hey mate, first off where bouts in aus you from and where did you buy your ukulele, secondly buy yourself a set of aquilla strings, they make any poor sounding ukulele come alive, for $500aus there might of been other options proberly better but thats not the point, your stuck with what you bought ;) so yeh best thing to do is go out or go on ebay, order a set of aquilla strings heres a link for a set on ebay australia http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ukulele-Aqui...ries?hash=item518ce9b864&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14, they should make a huge difference, tenors are much more louder and punchier then the concert, and the concert to the soprano, so yeh change the strings and you should be fine and dandy...

you know what...I want to apologize. It took me like 3x to read where you actually bought it. I only saw "interested" in it.

I hope you like it...I suggest though that if you have problems, return it and buy another brand. My experience with fender acoustic instruments (non-uke) are unfavorable, especially their banjos that never have a bridge and the 5th string always comes out of slot. Quality control is less than admirable.

Is your Hanapepe a solid top 'ukulele? I'm guessing it is. The Fender Nohea is a laminate (plywood) top which as a rule just doesn't have a volume and punch of a solid wood top 'ukulele. I'd do as keithy351 suggested and try some Aquila Nylgut strings, they made all (2) of my laminate top 'ukuleles sound 100% better. ;)

Hi, If I may ask, where did you get a Hanapepe Uke? Never heard of it before.. I wouldnt mind checking one out, I used to live/grew up in a town called Hanapepe :D. thanks! :shaka:

thanks guys,

I bought the uke from a shop in Perth city i cant remember the name of, I checked afew shops for tenors in the $500 range and the fenders were the only ones i could find so i got it, i didnt want to get one off ebay without playing it first.
Not sure what strings it came with but i actually put a set of LA Bellas on it and it sounded worse!!! So ill try the strings u reccomended.
I checked the bio of the model and its suppossed to have more of a lovely sound than a big sound, which is what it has i suppose.
I got the Hanapepe at a shop in Sydney, its great, people pick it up who dont play and hit the open strings and there eyes light up!!

thanks guys,

I bought the uke from a shop in Perth city i cant remember the name of, I checked afew shops for tenors in the $500 range and the fenders were the only ones i could find so i got it, i didnt want to get one off ebay without playing it first.
Not sure what strings it came with but i actually put a set of LA Bellas on it and it sounded worse!!! So ill try the strings u reccomended.
I checked the bio of the model and its suppossed to have more of a lovely sound than a big sound, which is what it has i suppose.
I got the Hanapepe at a shop in Sydney, its great, people pick it up who dont play and hit the open strings and there eyes light up!!

your in perth, hahahaha same here, sounds like you got your uke from zenith music store espically if you played a 2 grand instrament that would of been there kamaka (mind you that ukes litrally $1000 over priced) when ever you venture down the path of ukes again and wanna keep it in australia with very very competative prices i can say better enough words for gaby at cairns music store, she has hooked me up with a kanile'a K-1 tenor which i dont even reckon i could of got from there website as cheap which i hope to have in a few weeks time... send us an email if your ever keen for a jam, away from a fair few weeks but yeh, summers great time for ukes and ukers alike

Top Bottom