Trade in Mitchell MU-100 for a Kala?

kjmphoto

Reaction score
I am now looking at getting a Kala from MGM. I like the sound of the Kamoas, but I've heard so many good things about MGM that I'm thinking it's maybe best to have him set-up a uke for me, so I know it's good to go. I'm looking at the Kala concerts, or the Ohana SK-25. The Kala KA-SC seems like an interesting combination of wood. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'd like to stay at around $150 (including case). What would you do?

Most people generally enjoy their kalas, it's a fairly nice instrument.

while I recommend having an instrument other than the mu-100 (whether that means keeping it or getting rid of it) trying to stay under $150 might be asking a bit much. Selling the mu-100 should get you a bit more than $100, combined with the $150 on top should be able to get you something nice, but the 150 alone really can't do much for you, especially with a case. Most of the hardshell cases I've run in to are about $60, meaning you'd have very little left for a uke and at that kind of price you would most likely be worse off than keeping the mu-100.

save up a little more imo.

also, using your search function for mu-100 on the site would probably help, there's 2 threads about it on the front page too =P

Last edited:
Take the next step. Save a bit more and get an instrument that will really make a difference to you. Maybe a Pono or a Kanilea.

I have a Kala Solid Mahogany Tenor (ASMT) I think it cost $200 even (with the hard case). It's a really nice instrument. You can find something for not much more than you are thinking about spending. A good option might be to call MGM and ask his opinion. I'm sure he has something close to your price range.

Top Bottom