Low AND high G tenor?

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
A half baked idea here...

What about a 5 string tenor uke with both low and high G strings. #5 would be high G for use in clawhammer and to provide that "real uke" sound that people seem to crave. #4 would be low G to provide those extra few notes for picking out tunes. For chords using an open G you could strum both of them, and if the chord uses a fingered G string,you could either fret both of them(if possible) or somehow muffle the unneeded string.

Just a thought...

What about a 5 string tenor uke with both low and high G strings. #5 would be high G for use in clawhammer and to provide that "real uke" sound that people seem to crave. #4 would be low G to provide those extra few notes for picking out tunes. For chords using an open G you could strum both of them, and if the chord uses a fingered G string,you could either fret both of them(if possible) or somehow muffle the unneeded string.

Just a thought...

already been made kiwika make a 5 string uke, BUT not 100% sure if its how you put it think it is though but if not its a good idea with some sort of potential espically in the custom department, but would be a bugger to play always having to mute the string

5 string ukes (those made in da 808) uses a high G and low G as its fourth course. Kanile'a offers a 5 string model. I don't think you're gonna find one with a setup you're describing unless you ask for a custom.

why not just buy two ukes :D?

Just a thought...

I have been wanting to try something like this too! I was thinking maybe the high and low G strings could be paired, and you would fret them both with the same finger. Not sure why that option isn't offered. Has it been tried, and what about it didn't work? I am not sure if it would be better to have the high g on the outside or inside. I expect the high g should go on the outside. Probably would need a custom bridge or saddle to compensate for intonation issues. A thumb pick might be useful as well...

–Lori

You could just get a six string (or an 8 I suppose) and string it with only the top course at octaves.

Easy and cheap(ish) as opposed to a custom. I love the idea though.

Top Bottom