Issue Eight - Ukulele Player is ONLINE

Pippin

Reaction score
This issue features BILL TAPIA, at 101 years old, Bill is the oldest working professional musician in the world. He just returned from a tour of Japan.

We also have A.J. Leonard and introducing "Breakfast a.k.a. Tom Dennehy.

We are giving away a KALA Travel Uke (soprano/mahogany/spruce).

If you entered the contests before, no need to enter again, you are already in the running.

Mickey

Thanks! Gotta go download....

just checked him out never heard of him before, and wow hes over 100 and is still very good.

Yay! been waiting for a new issue!

Thanks again! Looking forward to some reading by the fire... ah, it's only September...

The Bill Tapia interview is a great read, many nice articles. Do you write all of them yourself?

(I vote once more for putting the link to the magazine in your message body, but perhaps I am the only one who disables signatures)

Last edited:
Yea! After being immersed in ukulele all weekend, this is a nice pick-me-up for my post-festival letdown. THANKS!!!

I was lucky enough to see him play THREE times (four?) at the NYUF. so awesome. Hes really very very good, and his stories are great!

if you want to see him play, you can check out my youtube channel, I've got a whole bunch of videos of him playing.

Thanks again! Looking forward to some reading by the fire... ah, it's only September...

The Bill Tapia interview is a great read, many nice articles. Do you write al of them yourself?

(I vote once more for putting the link to the magazine in your message body, but perhaps I am the only one who disables signatures)

I have had contributions from Steve Boisen (Barnkickers) and Jeremy dePrisco, who wrote the piece on Tom Dennehy in this issue. I have done the rest.

I originally told everyone that I plan to do ten issues a year. That gives me a little lattitude when it comes to scheduling interviews. In this issue, the real time was taken up transcribing the Bill Tapia interview. Bill doesn't do much in the way of e-mail, so, his manager and I coordinated a telephone call to Bill's home and I recorded the interview by routing the telephone line into my recording studio equipment. After the interview, I had to make the time to put the whole thing in writing and that is what you read in the magazine. It took a good deal of time. That's why I prefer e-mail interviews... copy and paste... and people can give more thought to responses.

I have the next issue in the planning stages at this point. I wanted to do a luthier spotlight on Compass Rose Ukes and I will be sending interview questions to Rick Turner in the next few days for Issue Nine.

So, that gives everyone some idea about what goes into an issue. In a simple statement, it keeps me busy.

Send in those questions, Pippin!

Got some new stuff I'm working on, too. Bill Tapia asked me to build him a "pocket uke", so I'm working up a design for that, and I'm going to be teaching more and more of my "Build a Uke in Four Days" courses in the coming years. Looks like we're set for the Cairns Ukulele Festival for a course early next summer. Then there's the long time coming Compass Rose concert uke I've been wanting to build...

I have had contributions from Steve Boisen (Barnkickers) and Jeremy dePrisco, who wrote the piece on Tom Dennehy in this issue. I have done the rest.

I originally told everyone that I plan to do ten issues a year. That gives me a little lattitude when it comes to scheduling interviews. In this issue, the real time was taken up transcribing the Bill Tapia interview. Bill doesn't do much in the way of e-mail, so, his manager and I coordinated a telephone call to Bill's home and I recorded the interview by routing the telephone line into my recording studio equipment. After the interview, I had to make the time to put the whole thing in writing and that is what you read in the magazine. It took a good deal of time. That's why I prefer e-mail interviews... copy and paste... and people can give more thought to responses.

I have the next issue in the planning stages at this point. I wanted to do a luthier spotlight on Compass Rose Ukes and I will be sending interview questions to Rick Turner in the next few days for Issue Nine.

So, that gives everyone some idea about what goes into an issue. In a simple statement, it keeps me busy.

We appreciate all your hard work, and all you contribute to the ukulele community. Great edition this month. Can't wait for the Rick Turner interview next month.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Top Bottom