Age is Everything

Skrik

Reaction score
Who among us has the oldest ukulele?

The uke is only 130 years old, and there must be instruments out there that come quite close to that magic number. Who has the oldest?

The banjolele was first produced in 1917. Does anyone here have one that approaches that age?

The concert is a little younger -- dating from the 1920s. Who has the oldest concert?

The tenor is about the same age as the concert. Who has the oldest tenor?

Lastly, the baritone was produced from the 1940s on. Who here has the oldest baritone?

We (I'm sure I speak on behalf of the whole forum) would like to see pics -- detailed pics, the more the merrier -- of your vintage ukuleles. Think of it as doing something good for the rest of us who haven't the good fortune to own one of these treasures.

I love this idea! I can't wait to see the outcome!

Who among us has the oldest ukulele?

The uke is only 130 years old, and there must be instruments out there that come quite close to that magic number. Who has the oldest?

The banjolele was first produced in 1917. Does anyone here have one that approaches that age?

The concert is a little younger -- dating from the 1920s. Who has the oldest concert?

The tenor is about the same age as the concert. Who has the oldest tenor?

Lastly, the baritone was produced from the 1940s on. Who here has the oldest baritone?

We (I'm sure I speak on behalf of the whole forum) would like to see pics -- detailed pics, the more the merrier -- of your vintage ukuleles. Think of it as doing something good for the rest of us who haven't the good fortune to own one of these treasures.

Interesting idea. The baritone, by the way, is of disputed origin. Favilla made one as early as 1938, from what I could find. The story about Arthur Godfrey inventing it is not true.

Fine I'll start, since no one else will, Pono Pto tenor, maybe 2007....

alright, here are a few pics. there's a sticker on the back of the headstock that says "standard approved", i think the brand may be harmony.

Attachments

• smDSC_0185.jpg
    smDSC_0185.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 19
  • smDSC_0182.jpg
    smDSC_0182.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 21
  • smDSC_0179.jpg
    smDSC_0179.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 23
Ive played some martin soprano's that were made in the 1930's but I didnt have the cash to buy them. :D

I have an old koa uke from circa the late teens or early 20s. She's got some curly in her and is very lightly built and is a loud little hussy! She was rescued from a Craigslist posting for $20, looked like crap as she was covered in attic filth, but cleaned up nice and got some new friction tuners to replace her pegs, and is waiting for her new shellac.

A friend of mine caught me playing my vintage 2004 uke at work one day and told me she still has her late father's uke stuck away somewhere in a drawer. I asked her to bring it in because, I joked, "It's probably a Martin."

"Is that good?" she naively asked.

Sure enough, it was a 30's soprano, stock mahogany "O" type, beautiful condition. It cost maybe $12.00 when new (A small fortune back then for a novelty instrument) and is worth about $1500.00 today. The tone brings tears to your eyes. I would have offered her fifty bucks for it, but since I have to work with her...

I have a 1915 Koa Kumalae, and a 1930s La Pacifica Banjolele, and a 1950s Roy Smeck solid Mahogany with plastic fret board. I'd trade them all for my Dad's 1957 Kamaka pineapple though.

I don't have an old uke (mine must be all of 6 months out of some factory), but there are some good pics of 'vintage' ukulele at the Ukulele Hall of Fame. Sadly no details provided that I could see, just pics. They also have a 'Questions, Answers, and Information' section if you want to find out about a ukulele or a manufacturer.
linky

I saw a reference in google to a book titled 'Hawaiian Ukulele and Guitar Makers 1884 - 1930'
(PDF sampler here)

david

I've got a Kumalae. No idea how old it is. They are fairly 'rustic' in build quality, but that is a major part of their charm. Mine is a loud, brash little blighter, but I hardly ever play it.

Ukantor.

I have an old Harmony, the sticker on the headstock is the gold one with red around it. This indicates it was made in the 1920's or 30's. You see these quite a bit on ebay, they made a lot of them. I got mine for less then $50 and I think it sounds great.
picture.php

Last edited:
I have a 1930s Favilla soprano. Bought it from a guy at my local grocery store for $40.

picture.php

picture.php

I have a Kumalae dated between 1915 and 1919. I's my avatar. I also have a mid 1970s Northern concert ukulele, the triangular one.

Top Bottom