drilling hole for strap peg?

liverlipsyyz

Reaction score
i want to use a strap on my tenor uke but there's no peg on the bottom of the uke. i bought a peg but i'll have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the uke to screw it in. will the hole effect my uke in anyway as long as i don't crack the wood or something stupid while drilling? i tried crazy glue but it doesn't seem to hold. thanks!

Glue isn't going to cut it. If you are not confident doing it yourself (and I don't blame you for that, I wouldn't know how to drill it right), I'd suggest you take it to a local guitar/music store. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks. :)

Just mark where you want to drill, use a drill a little smaller than the screw. That way the screw has some wood to grip on to. when you screw it in the hole, Should be fine.

thanks. i'm cool with drilling because i'm pretty handy but i'm just wondering if drilling a small hole in the bottom has any negative effect on the uke? i'm guessing it won't but i'm not quite sure. thanks!

i'm cool with drilling because i'm pretty handy but i'm just wondering if drilling a small hole in the bottom has any negative effect on the uke?
Well, if it's an expensive uke, just like an expensive classical guitar, it could have a negative effect on the resale value because it's been altered. Otherwise, if you want to use a strap, installing a strap button should not be a big deal. :)

okay, cool. i'm not worried about resale. just wanted to make sure drilling the hole would not effect the sound in any way.

Shouldn't make a difference in sound. Most ukes have a block there for strength anyway, so I don't think you'll break it. ;)

Shouldn't make a difference in sound. Most ukes have a block there for strength anyway, so I don't think you'll break it. ;)

bingo, the screw they sell with the strap button shouldn't be long enough to go all the way through that block. as long as the button is in tight, you won't notice a thing.

If you're like me and don't want to drill any holes in your instrument, you can just tie a long bootlace from the strap and around the hip of the ukulele like I did for my charango. It won't work for pineapple ukes though.
Ernest

Picture059.jpg

i want to use a strap on my tenor uke but there's no peg on the bottom of the uke. i bought a peg but i'll have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the uke to screw it in. will the hole effect my uke in anyway as long as i don't crack the wood or something stupid while drilling? i tried crazy glue but it doesn't seem to hold. thanks!

Hi there. I wanted the same thing for my two tenors, so I drilled into the heel of the neck (See pics below). If you are drilling into mahogany wood though be extremely careful when screwing in the screw. Don't force the screw in. I had one screw break on my red Kala Tenor, but I was lucky there was enough room to drill a second hole.

picture.php

picture.php

Hi there. I wanted the same thing for my two tenors, so I drilled into the heel of the neck (See pics below). If you are drilling into mahogany wood though be extremely careful when screwing in the screw. Don't force the screw in. I had one screw break on my red Kala Tenor, but I was lucky there was enough room to drill a second hole.

picture.php

picture.php

Do this too. For the end you should drill into the tailblock and put the other screw in there

Just did mine tonight on my new kala acacia. not expensive but priceless to me! Marked it, measured twice, carefully drilled both end and on heel of neck (not like above but in the middle of the side so that the uke won't tip forward), works like a charm, very comfy and worth it!

thanks for all the tips! i found this video on youtube on how to install the button in ukes and it worked like a charm! i installed one on the bottom and one on my heel (not on the bottom of my heel) so i wouldn't have to tie the strap to my head stock. i'm loving my new strap!

Top Bottom