Mainland Speculation

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Did ya hear Mainland is going to start offering some ukulele necks for sale without the rope binding? I wonder if that portends some "ropeless" model ukes from Mainland, too...

(We could simply ask HoosierHiver, but speculating is more fun.)

I would like to see a ropeless Mainland. Maybe with just a simple rosette, or herringbone binding, like on those new Kala acacia tenors. Yeah, herringbone. That's the ticket.

The mahogany Mainlands don't have any rope binding, maybe the necks are from them.

Otherwise, i would just guess its another neck off the factory line, since they're made in China the same factory probably supplies ukes to other brands as well (I believe I read somewhere that its the same factory as Ohana ukuleles).

Rats.

I thought this thread was going to be about buying Mainlands with the idea that we'd be able to sell them for a bazillion dollars sometime in the future. :rolleyes:

--Mark

i think i did see on the website a section where mike sold just the uke neck.

and mainland without bindings might look cool. i wouldn't mind one. i never really liked binding but i do like the one that's on my mainland now. but i feel like the binding is part of mainlands "signature".

The mahogany Mainlands don't have any rope binding, maybe the necks are from them.

I'm not from Missouri, but you're going to have to "show me." I've never seen a Mainland without rope binding.

And, Choboy, it's not that I mind binding, it's the rope binding specifically, that, for whatever reason, turns me as well as some others off. And if all you offer is rope binding, well then you're excluding a group of people from the get go, which is another reason for my "speculation". Mike's a smart guy. (And I'll stand by that even if he isn't diversifying the Mainland binding option! Just not as much, is all.)

And Brlfl, I'm sorry it was the wrong kind of speculation. Yours would have been better. We could all invest, get rich, and retire to play our ukes on the front porch of our Mediterranean estates. Or the back porch. Whatever. And if I spelled "Brlfl" wrong, add some vowels, for god's sake, man. ;)

Oops, my bad. I though the mahogany ones were plain looking :eek:

I have a honeybee and really like the rope binding on it, it is dainty and pretty. Kinda a girly uke :p

I love my mainland the way it is. The only thing i would do is lower the action(even more) but other than that, I love the rope binding. But it would be nice to see some MOP and/or Abalone inlay. Also, I would love to buy premade necks, because I would love to starting toying around with building ukes.

I love my mainland the way it is. The only thing i would do is lower the action(even more) but other than that, I love the rope binding. But it would be nice to see some MOP and/or Abalone inlay. Also, I would love to buy premade necks, because I would love to starting toying around with building ukes.

Different people like their action at different heights. Action can be easily lowered, but not easily raised, so it makes sense that one would offer ukes for sale with the action at or close to its highest comfortable/playable height.

I just got a soprano neck from Mainland and it has rope binding around the headstock...:D

Yup--I actually exchanged a few email with Mike a couple weeks ago, and that's where I heard that Mainland will begin carrying necks w/out the binding. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival so that I can order one for the cigar box uke I'm building.

I may have to bow to pressure and have some "Plain Janes" made up, but it probably won't be until next year.
The necks/fretboards without binding (including concert and tenor sizes) should be available in about 10 days to 2 weeks(I hope! :uhoh:), along with all the other new goodies.

I may have to bow to pressure and have some "Plain Janes" made up, but it probably won't be until next year.
The necks/fretboards without binding (including concert and tenor sizes) should be available in about 10 days to 2 weeks(I hope! :uhoh:), along with all the other new goodies.

And so ends the speculation: thanks Mike--I didn't want to send you another pestering email, so I devised this not-so-subtle ploy.
;)

I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but once I made a suggestion in a thread, and the next time I checked the Mainland site, it had been added. Then the necks were added. Now this. Looks to me as though Mike appreciates his customers and tries to give people what they want. Pretty good way to run a business.

Top Bottom