are soprano ukuleles for begginers?

Kiwina

Reaction score
does it matter? or is tenor, concert, and baritone , all the same skill level

Hi Kiwina. I don't think it matters, but the baritone is tuned differently. Its tuning is the same as the highest four strings on a guitar.

I came to this instrument from the guitar (22-25" scale length) and bass (30-34"), and I consider the soprano the hardest to play. The 13" scale leaves the least room for error and requires that you find ways to cram your fingers in. I considered a concert or a tenor but decided to start on the "traditional" instrument first.

The bigger instruments exist largely because they make more volume and work better in performance settings.

--Mark

soprano can be thought as the "original" uke.
it's not exclusively for beginners... there are some people who will only play a soprano uke (including me).

the only downside with the soprano compared to the other uze sizes is that because it's smaller, its scale length is smaller as well. that's why pro's like jake play tenor, because they have more notes to use when transposing music.

the late john king played a soprano uke.

First uke I got was a soprano and I liked it for several reasons - sounded like what a uke should sound like (in my own opinion), small therefore easy to play, cheapest in price. Ultimately I think whatever feels comfortable for you though.

First uke I got was a soprano and I liked it for several reasons - sounded like what a uke should sound like (in my own opinion), small therefore easy to play, cheapest in price. Ultimately I think whatever feels comfortable for you though.

I was about to make this exact same post. ;)

Contrary to popular belief, you don't "graduate" from one size to another. You get a few of each and play whatever feels the most comfortable and suits the style you're going for at the time. I've seen some amazing players who use sopranos almost exclusively.

My favoritest (real word here in Hawai'i ;)) 'ukulele out a of over a dozen is my soprano Kamaka Koa pineapple, sounds SO great like a 'ukulele should in your best dreams. I own all 4 sizes of 'ukulele but prefer the soprano. Size in my opinion has NOTHING to do with player knowledge or advancement but as mentioned is the original 'ukulele size and a personal choice. ;)
That being said sopranos do fit small children better than a baritone but for adults just a preference thing. Bruddah Iz nevah play one baritone. :D

does it matter? or is tenor, concert, and baritone , all the same skill level

The BEST way to decide is to try them all and see which one sounds and feels right to you. In this case.....size does not matter!!!

Top Bottom